Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:36 AM   #1

Default If not to buy Z1.... just stop me now!

I'm going to buy Z1 camera :lol: next month. If you have something to tell me why I shouldn't buy this camera ops: just tell me this.... :roll:
Wuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:09 PM   #2

Do check FUJI S5000. It offers better build quality.
gokhalesuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:43 PM   #3

who needs a 10x zoom anyway. Can't handhold it and get sharp photos.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 11:07 AM   #4

Try Olympus C750 if You need 10x zoom. Cheek on Internet for pictures from this camera. Just search "Olympus C750" and compare or, if You can, borrow a sample and test yourself.
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:16 AM   #5

Returned the camera today!

Yes, images are sharp; focus is fast all sounds good but what about reliability?
1> Lens shake (wobble) is simply unbearable, period. I did check other Digicam like C740/C750, S5000 and Kodak 10X Zoom etc all exhibit some amount of Lens wobble but in Dimage Z1 it is too much. Just hold the camera in your hand and you start hearing the lens wobble sound as if something is loose inside it. With such a wobble how long will it work reliably?

2> Battery compartment cover is flimsy! In last 20 day, I changed batteries for 7-8 times and every time I had a hard time in closing the door. I am sure if one applies a bit more pressure the cover will break! Hinges won't last for more 100 odd operations!

3> Lens AF noise during Movie mode is annoying. And Audio-video is out of syn!!

4> The Mirror-shutter type EVF / LCD switching mechanism is doubtful. I came across around 8 instances where the switching failed! This is serious. And proved the last straw on the camelís back.
Enough is enough, I just returned the camera.

Please do check these things before you buy.
This is my first Digicam and I am not planning another one in coming 4-5 years, and I do not want to deal with Minolta Service center!

There are other options available at almost the same price.

I am going in for FUJI S5000. I tried it for last one week and it is at par with Dimage Z1 in picture quality. Disregard the reviews by some pros on some web site. They do talk about its lens shadow at the corner, over compression, lack of manual White balance etc but for common man, day-to-day pictures (family and kids etc) and up to 8x10 prints, all such things really do not count. (Please check Daveís full review on S5000 at http://www.imaging-resource.com, he had answered and preempted all such doubts) S5000ís build quality is very good, just hold S5000 in your hand and the second next you will feel it. It comes with very good quality Lens adapter and has built in AF assist lamp
gokhalesuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 3:56 PM   #6

I wonder if "gokhalesuhas" is the same "suhasgokhale" who send his own test to "http://dcresource.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=1185602/id_type=masterid/ut=d5645f1a1115f67c"?
Old Oct 14, 2003, 3:37 AM   #7

I have the Olympus C-750 Panasonic FZ2 and Minolta Z1. I did try the Fuji S5000 from Costco although the design was good I did not like the picture quality compared to the others. People seem to be making rash decisions on all these cameras after only a couple of days use. It appears alot of people buy them and think their model is the best thing since sliced bread then change their minds. Each one of the above cameras are different, for me the C-750 is the one I like the most (owned for 3 months) and provides for me the best images, but the Z1 is alot less money but performs very well, only the C-750 has a metal body the rest are plastic and plastic feels cheap. In the UK the S5000 is around £100 more than the Z1 and its not worth that extra money IMHO.

Still after taking over 2000 shots with the Z1 and 6000 with the olympus I like both cameras and each has its purpose.

If you want to see some of my images taken with the Z!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/km.bate..._Oct/index.htm

Images Taken with the Olympus

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/km.bate...s/arkroyal.htm
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 3:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokhalesuhas
Returned the camera today!

1> Lens shake (wobble) is simply unbearable, period. I did check other Digicam like C740/C750, S5000 and Kodak 10X Zoom etc all exhibit some amount of Lens wobble but in Dimage Z1 it is too much. Just hold the camera in your hand and you start hearing the lens wobble sound as if something is loose inside it. With such a wobble how long will it work reliably?

2> Battery compartment cover is flimsy! In last 20 day, I changed batteries for 7-8 times and every time I had a hard time in closing the door. I am sure if one applies a bit more pressure the cover will break! Hinges won't last for more 100 odd operations!

3> Lens AF noise during Movie mode is annoying. And Audio-video is out of syn!!

4> The Mirror-shutter type EVF / LCD switching mechanism is doubtful. I came across around 8 instances where the switching failed! This is serious. And proved the last straw on the camelís back.
Enough is enough, I just returned the camera.

Please do check these things before you buy.
This is my first Digicam and I am not planning another one in coming 4-5 years, and I do not want to deal with Minolta Service center!
It seems that you are returning your camera just based on a lot of assumptions: you 'assume' that the lens wobble is sign that there's something wrong with the lens and that makes it unreliable(the wobble is perfectly normal), you *assume* that the battery compartment door will break in a few weeks (which is not, the battery door is there to keep the batteries firmly in place, you'd have sudden power off's while handling the camera if the batteries would wobble in the compartment ), and you *assume* that the LCD/viewfinder switching mechanism will break one of these days just because it failed on you a couple of times. My computer also fails on me now and then, no reason to return it or not using it anymore.

You do have a point on the 640x480 30 fps sync problem, but then again, other camera's don't even have this fps or this resolution, and the audio/video sync is fine with 15 fps or lower resolution movies... I guess I just still love the Z1.
arthurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 6:12 AM   #9

"Over all I am quite happy with this camera, this is the best I could get within this time frame ( I just can not wait for next model to come or the price to drop any further, that would be endless and at the end one you will never buy a camera) and cost budget.

I would suggest to have alook on FUJI S5000, it is almost at par with Dimage Z1! And offers same picture quality but comes with more robuts body, lens adapter, Auto focus assist lamp !

Hope this helps - - have a great day!

Suhas Gokhale

San Diego, CA, USA "
This is what you wrote on another site. It seems to me you are changing your mind every day
Old Oct 15, 2003, 1:42 AM   #10

Default Re: Z1 or C-750

Kevin,

I have another question for you, is the lack of image stabilizer for both cam a big issue for low light full telephoto and no tripod? People were saying that Panasonic FZ1 is better because of the IS but I really like the design of Z1 as compare to FZ1, do you think if I choose Z1 or 750UZ over FZ1 I'll regret it later on?

Ching
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote