Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:43 PM   #1

Default Z1 noises during video

I just got a Z1. When I put it into video record mode it makes clicking and whirling noises. They are loud enough that they are picked up by the camera's microphone, and thus during playback you hear the noises - like gears moving.

Is this normal, or do I have a defective unit?

Thanks
Kilgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:37 AM   #2

I'll reply to my own comment. I went back to WalMart and listened to the display model and it makes the same noise.
Kilgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 3:34 PM   #3

I tried my camera out and it made no noise while recording.
jggillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 7:40 PM   #4
Administrator

Hmmmm...

Most cameras won't let you use zoom in movie recording modes (because the microphone picks up too much noise).

I have never touched this camera, but when you mentioned the noises, continuous autofocus comes to mind.

Try going to page 2 of the record menus.

You'll see a menu choice labeled Full-time AF.

Disable it, and it will turn off continuous autofocus.

That's my best SWAG as to what you are hearing (autofocus mechanism working while recording).

Of course, the downside to turning it off, is that autofocus won't be continuous when recording (assuming that the camera will let you turn it off in movie recording mode -- it may remain on by default).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:24 AM   #5

I will try this too, I have heard a little noise on a couple of my videos, sounds like someone typing on a keyboard. The camera will zoom when recording video, but only in 15fps mode and it is only digital zoom. 30fps, will not zoom at all while recording.

-Robert
dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:07 AM   #6

Default Noise during recording

I did a little more sampling of the video. I think it is the auto-focus making the noise. I had a quick look and could not find which setting to turn off the autofocus in the video mode.

I started recording and kept the camera still, there was no noise. Then when I panned and I could hear/feel the noise again - it must be the autofocus.

It can't be heard in an environment with a fair amount of ambient noise. But in a fairly quiet environment, and panning the camera, it can be heard.

-Robert
dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 2:14 PM   #7

I am also having the same problem, that is when I shoot movie it makes clicking and whirling noises loud enough and that is being recorded , while playback it is really irritating. I contacted Minolta people but they couldn't comment on it, I forwarded a short movie clip (with that noise) for their reviw, waiting for their reply. I am worried whether it is this normal, or my unit is defective?

I couldn't compare with similar unit elsewhere!

Suhas Gokhale
gokhalesuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:09 AM   #8

Z1 is a wonderful camera for features, especially the VGA quality movies. There IS NO other like that yet. I have one since it came to B&H (2 weeks). I do also hear the autofocus getting recorded by the mic in quiet room. When you have people talking, or other normal ambient noice the autofocus sound gets unnoticeable. Its video is fantastic, especially when you immediately play it on TV, it will blow your friends away with near DVD quality! Video impression (included) or other editing software can do something about the audio track post hoc.

My serious gripes are about the Chromatic aberration and grain! I am researching on the qualities of low light images (like shades and peripheral objects which get hit worst!) by other cameras. Would like to know how it compares to Z1. So I will be able to get the final feel as to keep it or not!

Siblyn.
Siblyn is offline   Reply With Quote