Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 22, 2008, 9:51 AM   #1

Hello everybody!

Recently I purchased a Minolta Dimage 7hi and since it didn't come with the original usb data cable, i bought one at a local store. Now when i connect the camera to the PC, Windows crashes and needs restart, Linux emergency-stops the usb subsystem and survives, writing in the kernel logs that the cause of failure was read-error and "over-current". So it seems that the camera doesn't operate the USB port at the required voltage, or something...
So my question would be (for those having the original accessories): does the camera's data cable (model USB-100) have some extra electronics on it (like some external resistor or alike) or it's just a plain simple USB (mini B) cable, as mine?

And another problem (maybe related?): it seems to me that the camera is overheating (towards the right bottom part, where the usb port is located), especially the compactflash drive becomes very hot... Is it a normal behaviour?

Thanks a lot
szteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2

Mine appears to be a standard mini USB. The only difference I have noted is that it has two ferrite cores (one at either end) rather than the one I have seen on other cables.I have used it to transfer photos, but it is terribly slow. Much better to use a card reader, which can take advantage of USB 2.0 speeds. The first time I used the card reader, I kicked myself for ever trying to transfer direct from the camera.

That area of the camera is the power supply, and does get pretty warm, particularly if the battery is a bit low. K-M reccomend using AC adapter or to be sure battery is freshly charged, when transferring. If the camera is working well otherwise, I would say, just get a card reader, and forget the USB on the camera.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply!

Of course, I'll buy myself a card-reader, I'm just a little worried about the short circuit. As I've found out, that "over-current change" kernel error happens when I connect the camera to the PC, even when the camera is turned off, with batteries taken out... On some Linux forum they said this error indicates that the USB port was shorted.

When I set the mode dial to the data transfer position, some kind of "Erns" appears on the data panel (see attached pic). I didn't find any reference about this... yours displays the same?
And does your CompactFlash card warm up (i'd say become HOT) after 4-5 mins?

I'm afraid something might have got into the camera and causing the short circuit. I saw there are 4 screws on the right side, maybe i should remove this part of the plastic cover and take a look inside...
BTW: cca how many pictures can you take with one battery charge? Because if battery life on mine is not signficantly shorter, then I won't bother with dissasembly.

Otherwise the camera seems to work fine and I like it. One can begin learning photography with it, because you have manual settings for everything...
Attached Images

Old May 23, 2008, 10:04 PM   #4

szteven wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

When I set the mode dial to the data transfer position, some kind of "Erns" appears on the data panel (see attached pic). I didn't find any reference about this... yours displays the same?
Quote:
This is an attempt to indicate 'TRNS', for transfer, with limited segments.
Quote:
And does your CompactFlash card warm up (i'd say become HOT) after 4-5 mins?
Quote:
Not hot, though it does become warm.
Quote:

I'm afraid something might have got into the camera and causing the short circuit. I saw there are 4 screws on the right side, maybe i should remove this part of the plastic cover and take a look inside...
Quote:
Could be - I have heard of bent pins in the CF socket happening, which could cause this, though if the camera works it seems unlikely.
Quote:
BTW: cca how many pictures can you take with one battery charge? Because if battery life on mine is not signficantly shorter, then I won't bother with dissasembly.
Quote:
I can't say offhand how many shots I get, because of the way I use the camera. I can fill up a couple1GB cards shooting RAW, withoutgetting low battery indication, using 2500mAh NiMH.
Quote:

Otherwise the camera seems to work fine and I like it. One can begin learning photography with it, because you have manual settings for everything...
Quote:
I have a Pentax DSLR, but for may purposes, prefer the D7hi. One of the main reasons for buying it was it's very comprehensive set of capabilities, including the PC sync socket. For up to 8x10" prints, it stands up to anything yet on the market.
Quote:
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:06 PM   #5

brian, thanks again for being so helpful!

I used the camera during the past week and performs well. So better i won't disassemble it... As for the heat, well, at least it will warm up my hands in winter :-)