Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 7, 2003, 7:23 PM   #1

Default Steve's review on Dimage Z1

Today I read Steve's updated review on Dimage Z1 . Just disappointment, considering the fact that thousands were eagerly waiting for a nice review and had postponed their buying decision just for this only! He did nothing; most of the text is copied from Minolta's own Dimage Z1 Backgrounder document!

He did not talk much about picture quality, optics. He missed the now famous 'lens jiggle/ rattle' and 'clicking & whirling sound during movie recording' and the 'audio-video out of sync in movies'.

I think he just completed a formality, he could have written a better one.
gokhalesuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:27 AM   #2

I agree with You. It seems that Steve just tests "good or very good" cameras. If You look at telephoto picture You can ADMIRE a very good CA, but not a word about. If You test some of Z1 pictures with the same picture taken with other "good camera" You will note in many cases a lower sharpness i.e.
What I should like in Steve's test is a more "technical" test with lines or so. I'm still unshure, after test, if Z1 is a "valuable camera" or just "a good camera". I don't think that does matter how many possibilities I can choose with camera if the result will be "under average".
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:53 PM   #3

The CA is horrible when I tested the Z1 indoors using the flash. Purple glint in people's eyes and any bright reflection or sparkle had a purple haze. Anybody know where to get purple-eye remover? I also witnessed significant noise in photos compared to my FinePix 2800.

Great auto-focus, but it stops there. My FinePix 2800 (2MP,6X) delivers a better image when I can get the it to focus!
I was really excited about the fast auto-focus system on the Z1. Too bad.

You are right about Steve's reveiw. He throws softballs. www.dpreview.com is more technical and forthcoming about a camera's weakness. Waiting to see what they expose.
pyund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 11:01 AM   #4

Two great programs to work with CA are : Photo-Brush found at www.mediachance.com and Picture Window Pro at www.dc-l.com.
I prefer the first one. Both have a trial version.
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote