Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 11, 2003, 4:47 AM   #1
MBL

Default Z1 noise question

Hi!

Im going to buy digital camera in near future but like almost everybody, Im quite lost with all these choises. Price is the most significant factor because Im a student and therefore Z1 seem quite good along with Oly C-4000. What worries me is all those post about Z1s noisy images.

I have shot few images with my friends Sony DSC-S70 and would like to known how Z1 compares to it regarding noise. This shot is taken on quite bright summer day and there is large windows on left. I dont have exif data but that camera has ISO fixed on 100.

Would same shot taken with Z1 be better, same or worse?

( some typos corrected )
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:52 AM   #2
MBL

Hmmm...

Is this question really that hard? Or is Z1 so noisy that all owners are speechless after that "clean" Sony shot? :lol:
Old Oct 14, 2003, 1:06 PM   #3

noise on the Z1 is absent at ISO-50 and ISO-100.

I would say that the Z1 at ISO-200 is comparable to the sony pic above.

ISO-400 should only be used in emergency situations.

I have my Z1 locked on ISO-50 for outside pics, and on 100 inside or at dawn (or during a thunderstorm :-) ).

I have 4 identical indoor pics taken at ISO 50, 100, 200 and 400 on my home computer, I will put some crops on the net somewhere and post the link in this thread later today.
arthurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 3:21 PM   #4

Default ISO comparative Z1 pics

as promised, here are links to crops of 4 pictures taken at different ISO levels indoors (in poor lighting, no flash) with a Z1.

Please don't take criticize the photo composition, I have no intentions to enter any contest with these :-)

http://users.pandora.be/bosgalm/iso50_crop.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/bosgalm/iso100_crop.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/bosgalm/iso200_crop.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/bosgalm/iso400_crop.jpg

all were taken at wide open aperture (f 2.8), completely zoomed out (5.8 mm = 38mm equiv.), and with shutter times 1/6, 1/10, 1/20 and 1/40 respectively.

greetz from a happy Z1 owner
Old Oct 15, 2003, 6:08 AM   #5
MBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurv
I would say that the Z1 at ISO-200 is comparable to the sony pic above.
I would say that its between Z1s ISO-100 & 200, but thats only my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurv
I have 4 identical indoor pics taken at ISO 50, 100, 200 and 400 on my home computer, I will put some crops on the net somewhere and post the link in this thread later today.
Thanks! These shots were just what I was looking for! If I only could get those exact pics taken with Oly C-4000 to make up my mind...
Old Oct 15, 2003, 7:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL
Thanks! These shots were just what I was looking for! If I only could get those exact pics taken with Oly C-4000 to make up my mind...
I can give you iso50 pics with noise in certain area's, and I can also give you ISO400 pics with areas not having any noticable noise.

You'd have to take exactly the same pic in exactly the same lighting conditions (or at least capture the exact same object with flash or something) to compare two camera's... some colors just cause more noise than others (especially the unsaturated greys).