Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 20, 2003, 8:08 PM   #1

Default Z1 Mirror/shuter system for EVF.

Im looking for a amateur camera with manual controls, more than 3 MPixels and a large zoom.
My first pre-selected camera was Olympus 750, but the review of "Imaging Resource" showed me its unacceptable magenta
noise. It made me keep searching and I found the (cheaper) Minolta Z1.
I have read EVERYTHING there is about the Z1 and Im very worry about a subject: the switching between VF and LCD not always work!.
Some owners say this mechanism "stick sometimes, but works after a second or third try".
Do you know anything about it? Perhaps is only a delay.
Thanks.
falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2003, 3:20 AM   #2

Default Re: Z1 Mirror/shuter system for EVF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falco
Im looking for a amateur camera with manual controls, more than 3 MPixels and a large zoom.
My first pre-selected camera was Olympus 750, but the review of "Imaging Resource" showed me its unacceptable magenta
noise. It made me keep searching and I found the (cheaper) Minolta Z1.
I have read EVERYTHING there is about the Z1 and Im very worry about a subject: the switching between VF and LCD not always work!.
Some owners say this mechanism "stick sometimes, but works after a second or third try".
Do you know anything about it? Perhaps is only a delay.
Thanks.
I have the Z1 and never had a problem switching between EVF and LCD, except when the batteries are dead :-)

There is AFAIK indeed one person on this site (blackthorn) that had a non-working switch mechanism, and he has been reporting this in several threads, maybe that's why you think it's a common problem. Professional reviewers (Steves-digicams, dcresource) have expressed their concern about this mechanical part, but have not experienced any problems. After all, the is a flipping mirror mechanism and filmtransport in any reflex camera, and no-one complains about that...
arthurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 3:17 PM   #3

I reported this fault in two threads on the minolta forum as you can see from viewing my profile, I think your getting me mixed up with the other people you have responed to. I was happy with this camera and posted several posative comments.

My Minolta Z1 took good images it just broke.

I only posted my message once though 8)
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 3:18 PM   #4

Your best option Falco is to go for the one you think fits yours needs best. Failures can and will occur in any camera be it the C-750 or the Z1. If its meant to happen it will.

You may get lucky
Old Oct 21, 2003, 11:42 PM   #5

There is somebody called kljunior from NY who complained about these mechanism too. See
http://dcresource.pricegrabber.com/r...2bc60df1a567c1

Other one:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...;opinion=18482

.... Perhaps I dont have to buy it...

what do you think about magenta noise of C-750?
see
See http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C750/C75IN400.HTM
Old Oct 22, 2003, 2:32 AM   #6

Falco

I cannot say it was that evident in my images maybe it varies from camera to camera. As I said in the previous post the image quality was quite good for a camera of this price.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:29 AM   #7

Hi,

I too faced similar problems with Z1's LCD/EVF switching and also with the battery compartment door. The lens shake made me sick and on top of this the AF noise during movie mode and Audio-video sync issue.

Although Z1 produces good quality pictures (but many people complained about too much of CA), considering the long term reliability issues I returned the camera in the last week.

I tried contacting Minolta but of no help. While I had a very plesant experience with FUJI Support Services.

I am considering S-5000. Yes I know there are complaints about its picture quality, might not satify pros but for me it is adequate. (check S5000 review on imaging-resource, where all such doubts are cleared)

Suhas Gokhale
gokhalesuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 7:37 AM   #8

Default Z1?

Ok.... I really dont know what to do.
Z1 is a nice camera, but LCD/EVF switching and battery compartment door potencial problems worry me.

I own an Olympus D-340. Is a simple camera, but its images are wonderful. I think C-750 will be better, put it takes smaller movies than Z1, and their put 4Mpx on a very small CCD, so it gets lots of noise.

S5000 is too bulky, and produce noise on images too.

Anybody trust in Kodak Easyshare DX6490?
Has Kodak experience on digital cameras?

Thank U guys!

Is Panasonic DMC-FZ10 on sale? where?

I am considering S-5000. Yes I know there are complaints about its picture quality, might not satify pros but for me it is adequate. (check S5000 review on imaging-resource, where all such doubts are cleared)