Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 10, 2009, 9:21 AM   #1

Hi All

I have just aquired a 7Hi camera and sadly, Minolta 3600 Flash units are hard to come by in Australia!!

I'd like a swivel-head/bounce flash to add to the camera. Can anyone tell me which 3rd party units might work with this model??? Few manufacturers seem to worry about Minolta so it's hard to know which TTL models will work. I could use a manual flash on a bracket but they are not that common either.

Any help would be much appreciated

Chris

Softweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2009, 9:43 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

You can also use the Sony HVL-F36AM. It's the same flash as the Minolta 3600 HS (D).

Sony also offers a newer HVL-F42AM model that you may want to consider. It's priced quite reasonably compared to most similar dedicated flash models from other major camera manufacturers incorporating it's features (wireless, HSS, tilt/swivel, and more)

You can also use the Sony HVL-F56AM. It's the same flash as the Minolta 5600 HS (D).

In addition, Sony has released a higher end HVL-F58AM flash.

For more options, see this page at dyxum.com. The same flash models that work on Sony and Konica Minolta dSLR models should work just fine on your DiMAGE 7Hi.

http://www.dyxum.com/flashes/index.asp

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:11 AM   #3

Hi Jim

Many thanks!! You are a star!! So far the only other unit that's mentioned is the Sigma EF500 SG Super which is fairly pricey!!!

It's a little more reassuring to know that Sony units can be used as well as all I can find are Nikon and Canon dedicated units

I found a Sigma EF500 (not an SG) that is compatible with Minolta/Konica/Maxxum/Dynax SLR cameras ..I guess that's a write off?????

The same guy also has a Vivitar 2800 D which is "claimed" as Konica/Minolta compatible.. any hope of either of these working????

Chris

Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Administrator

Softweigh wrote:
Quote:
I found a Sigma EF500 (not an SG) that is compatible with Minolta/Konica/Maxxum/Dynax SLR cameras ..I guess that's a write off?????
You see mixed reports on the Sigmas from Konica Minolta and Sony dSLR owners for flash accuracy. Personally, I'd probably avoid them (especially if they have an earlier serial number). You can read some user reviews of the Sigmas (500 DG ST and 500 DG Super) at the link I posted to flash models at Dyxum (if you click on a flash model, you'll see links to user reviews there).

Quote:
The same guy also has a Vivitar 2800 D which is "claimed" as Konica/Minolta compatible.

Avoid it. It's an older Auto Thrysitor type flash unit for manual exposure cameras, and it's not compatible with newer film or digital camera models. It does not unnderstand things like your camera settings for ISO speed and aperture, and it will not understand the commands added to flash systems for for digtal (firing a metering preflash, length of flash burst needed for proper exposure, etc.).

You'd have to use an adapter on your hotshoe to even mount it (it uses an iso standard foot, and the shoe on your 7Hi is a newer proprietary design designed for Minolta Maxxum or Dynax Autofocus cameras). In addition, it's trigger voltage could damage your camera's electronics if you're not using a hotshoe adapter with voltage protection built in. Most reports show it's trigger voltage levels as too high for a camera like your 7Hi, unless you use a PC Sync connection (the hotshoe in your 7Hi is designed for a trigger voltage of around 5 or 6 volts, with no voltage protection built into the hotshoe electronics).

If you want use an older Auto Thyristor type flash via a Minolta FS-1100 or equivalent adapter, I'd use one with lower reported trigger voltages (like a Sunpak 333 Auto, Sunpak 383 Super and others). Note that the Minolta FS-1100 hotshoe adapter does *not* have voltage protection built in (although some third party adapters do, I wouldn't trust the crude protection built into some of them).. See this post:

Trigger Voltage Limits with Modern Digital Cameras

You can get third party adapters like to let you use a flash model with an iso standard foot. I'd still get something other than that Vivitar though. Here is an example of a Minolta FS-1100 equivalent adapter).

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...275&page=1

You'd need to use manual exposure on your camera, setting the flash and camera to match for iso speed and aperture with an older Auto Thyristor type flash. I have a Sunpak 333 Auto and smaller Sunpak 222 Auto that I use via a hotshoe adapter with my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony A700.

But, if you want a dedicated flash that works with digital and understands your cameras settings and the commands being sent by your camera, your choices will be far more limited. Most flash models designed for Minolta Film cameras (even those designed for Minolta Maxxum or Dynax Autofocus cameras that have the same hotshoe design as your DiMAGE 7Hi) are *not* compatible with Konica Minolta digital cameras. Most dedicated flashes for Minolta AF film camera models will just fire at full power (giving you overexposed images). I'd stick to the choices you see on that page at dyxum.com if you want a dedicated flash system that can communicate properly with your 7Hi.

Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:30 PM   #5

Hi Jim

Truly wise advise so I'll stick rigidly to the list at dyxum.com to be safe!!!

All your comprehensive input is very much appreciated

Thanks again

Chris
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:47 PM   #6

I have a KM A200 and bought a Promasrer 7500DX which works nicely.

http://www.promaster.com/products/pr...product=7500DX

don't know if you can get them down under though.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:33 AM   #7

I use my D7hi with an older Vivitar 285 flash unit, connected to the PC sync socket on the camera. Manual states the PC sync voltage limits as 400V +or - DC. Not likely to find anything which will be outside those limits. The 285 is of the auto-thyristor type, meaning it determines exposure rather than the camera. Used with the camera in manual, I get excellent results.

If you need the dedicated flash unit, then as JimC mentions, the Sony flashes are pretty much the same as Minolta's. I believe them to be the same, with just new badging.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:20 AM   #8

Thanks Guys

Just for interest can you clip a sync cord flash onto the hotshoe or do you need to maybe strip out the connections first so the hotshoe part of the flash becomes "cold"

Actually the only ones around here at the moment are the Sigma DG's and they sell used for a lot so there must be a shortage of Minolta flash units here!!!

Update: There is a Vivitar 285on eBay here with the usual single contact on the shoe...would I need a "cold" adaptor with this or do these units have a sync cord plug on them as well.

Chris

Old Apr 12, 2009, 9:35 AM   #9
Administrator

The Vivitar 285HV has a PC Sync connection, just like my Sunpak 333 Auto.

Note that some of the older Vivitar 285HV flashes had very high trigger voltages (so, they're not suitable for triggering via a hotshoe with most digital cameras). The PC Sync connection on your 7Hi supports higher trigger voltages. But, the hotshoe does not.

Some of the newer Vivitar 285HV models have lower trigger voltages (but, you'd want to test them with a volt meter if you aren't using voltage protection and want to use the hotshoe for triggering). Note the the 285 series Vivitar models have tilt but no swivel. So, keep that in mind. Many of the Sunpaks have both tilt and swivel (and lower trigger voltages for use in a hotshoe).

If you wanted to mount a Vivitar 285HV in the camera's autoshoe, you'd need an adapter (FS-1100 or equivalent). You could tape the contacts if you wanted to use a PC Sync cord to trigger one to get around trigger voltage issues. Or, you could mount it in a flash bracket with an iso standard shoe instead (and cold shoes are common).

Like the non-dedicated Auto Thyristor Sunpak models, you'd want to use manual exposure on the camera with a Vivitar 285HV, setting the flash and camera to match for ISO Speed and Aperture. The only communication with the camera is for triggering the flash, so the flash is not aware of your camera settings like a dedicated flash would be.

Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:18 PM   #10

The Minolta (and now Sony) hotshoe doesn't have a center pin, so you won't be able to trigger the flash from the hotshoe at all. I don't have my camera out right now, so don't recall if a standard flash will even fit the shoe. (I think it may be a bit smaller than standard) If it does, then there shouldn't be any problem, other than the weight and size of the flash. My old Minolta manual film SLR has a really stout hotshoe, but the D7hi is, to my mind a bit flimsy for the weight of the Vivitar flash, and when I adjust the angle or push/pull to adjust for focal length, I like having it on a bracket which is more solid.

brian

Edit: I took a look, and the hotshoe on the 7hi is completely different from the ISO standard. You will have to use a bracket or hotshoe adapter. (I now remember taking the hotshoe cover off to find this out back when I bought the camera, and haven't removed it since)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote