Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 12, 2009, 9:50 AM   #1

Default Thinking of buying Z3

I love my Z1, even when keeping the batteries in using velcro strips. But the case breakage also affected the hot shoe, and I'm looking at the z3 because of it's anti-shaak (3 to 4 MP not particularly important). The reviews when the camera came out noted some problems. Did the firmware upgrade resolve them.?
mjflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd suggest looking at a newer camera model. The Z3 has been discontinued for years (it was introduced in 2004), and you're probably asking for trouble buying a model that old (internal battery or capacitor issues for keeping date/time, oxidation on switch contacts, sensor or supporting electronics issues, etc.), depending on how one was cared for and stored.

You'd probably get better image quality with one of the newer Super Zoom type cameras, with higher available ISO speeds, lower noise levels and more. The sensor used in the Z3 left a bit to be desired for noise levels as ISO speeds were increased. With a newer camera, you'd also get better compatibility with modern memory cards (the Z3 is not SDHC compatible, so it's limited to 2GB cards with the latest 1.03 firmware).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 4:17 PM   #3

Default Thanks

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I found a repair service here at Steve's who quotes a price of under a hundred dollars to repair the body of the Z1(As I indicated in my original post, it still works fine).

I am also currently using the 30-day return policy at a major retailer to see if I would want a Canon SX 10 IS as my camera. It's one of the rare non-dslr which has both a hot-shoe and an eye-level biewfinder (much like the Z1).

Given your comments about the risks inherent in the purchase of the Z3, do you think that any investment in the Z1 is worthwhile, or should I just look to be the owner of a new, 2009 model?
mjflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 9:39 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjflint View Post
I found a repair service here at Steve's who quotes a price of under a hundred dollars to repair the body of the Z1(As I indicated in my original post, it still works fine).
We do not allow members to use our forums to conduct business. One reason is that it's just too hard to police (since we'd have scammers posting, hard feelings between members when deals go sour and more). So, I'd be very careful at taking someone up on an offer to fix your old camera.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote