Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 8, 2003, 9:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixao
about flash: do you think any man who needs a flash is not able to buy external flash and is fully dependent on that small internal flash? don 't be silly.
Do you know what TTL metering stands for? Obviously Sony does not know, because it's missing. External flash units are controlled by a sensor on the front of the flash unit itself. That's 80's technology.

The metering system don't (can't) take filters or focal lenght into account. In fact, it can't even take the aperture into account. Check it yourself, you'll get underexposed photos if you use external flash and small aperture. The 707 is even worse, white balence gets whacked at high shutter speeds. That's about as primitive as flash metering systems can get.

Minolta is one of the very few manufacturers that offer a decent flash system: TTL metering, high sync speed (up to 1/4000 s), automatic flash zoom, rear sync mode, flash exposure compensation and bracketing, manual mode (no pre-flash), PC sync connection for studio flashes and wireless TTL flash control.
MarkoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 9:29 AM   #12
NHL

Quote:
It's a pity that Minolta didn't spend more time on the DiMAGE A1's Bayer interpolation and image processing algorithms in order to deliver clean images with the higher resolution I am sure the lens is delivering to the sensor.
If someone doesn't like the Minolta processing he can always use the raw output, and use any of the available 3rd party algorithm in post-editing... which obviously Sony left out since Tiff is already a processed output, along with its take it or leave it oversaturation. Although one might get to use more MemorySticks (if anyone can see the difference at all)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2003, 1:16 PM   #13

Default the 717

Storage capacity - Memory Stick still limited to 128 MB
incorrect statement

No ability to control colour saturation, tone or noise reduction
too bad

No user settings / memories
too bad

Limited burst ability, very fast but only 3 frames
same as A1 except in RAW 5shots for the A1

Visible sharpening 'white halo' around black lines
good lens its a zeiss design isn't it

Visible lens distortion with wide angle macros
same as above

Some barrel distortion at wide angle
same as above

Only two JPEG compression levels
not an issue when you use RAW

Auto / Program AE limited by minimum 1/30 sec shutter speed
real useful

TIFF file save locks camera during write operation
thats real useful

Some may not like the design, camera must be held unconventionally
i won't even comment on that

No highlight indication in record or playback modes
same on A1. but A1 has histogram live during shooting.

basically what i see is mostly easily fixable (in post items) on the A1. on the 717 they're hardware issues that cannot be changed.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 1:56 PM   #14

sjms: i don't know why you comment all those things from the web i mentioned - i didn't write them. we we're talking about the theme of resolution, we did not discuss other things.
about ms 128. the time he wrote that article it was the max. ms card.
yes, one can have 1 gb ms card now. anyway, i still don't know, why you mentioned that ms card as an disadvantage of sony dsc-f717 :-)

if you mention you can post-process images (doing that with raw files), i wonder why you do not give the opportunity to sony to do the same by post-processing with tiff images (saturation, noise reduction).
i agree some things in conclusion are based on personal view of the author, but i just wanted to focus your eyes on the test chart and pictures, where minolta a1 really doesn't work as good as sony does.

(and sorry for my english, my sentences sometimes may look "rugged" .)
xixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 1:57 PM   #15

ad "but A1 has histogram live during shooting."

dsc-f717 has it as well :-)
Old Dec 18, 2003, 2:02 PM   #16

markoB: well, all i have to say is that i have already written for several times minolta a1 has much more functions. there is an issue how many standard user (because professionals certainly buy different camera) will use and how often, but it has, no doubt.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 1:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixao
there is an issue how many standard user (because professionals certainly buy different camera) will use and how often, but it has, no doubt.
Well, if the "standard user" NEVER uses anything but the default settings / "green mode", there is no problem.

However, Sony's primitive flash systems makes all creative controls almost unusable. Stop down the lens in order to get more DOF and you'll get an underexposed photo. Try to use fill-in flash in bright day light (=high shutter speed) and you'll get a blue color cast. Try to use slave flashes...
MarkoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 4:27 PM   #18
csd

Xixao- You are obviously going to be outnumbered touting a Sony camera over a Minolta camera in the "Minolta" discussion forum area
(By the way - I LOVE my A1 - couldn't find another camera that seemed better for the price. I could list all the things I like about it but it seems that has been done many times before.)
csd is offline   Reply With Quote