Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:52 PM   #1

Default minolta a1

7i and a1 are same lenses do they function and feel the same. i bought a1 had 7i, a1 makes noise is is not as fluid as 7i. do i have bad one or is this inhernet to a1
dr2ooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:22 PM   #2

they made some element improvements according to their rep . as to the smoothness if its in the zoom your referring to mine is also not linear smooth just at the 200 end it tends to tighten up a little where you would go macro. and if your referring to the very light whirring noise there is a little more going on in there now. in continuous AF it is in constant correction mode. in single/continuous AF shot too you have the anti shake doing its thing too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
they made some element improvements according to their rep . as to the smoothness if its in the zoom your referring to mine is also not linear smooth just at the 200 end it tends to tighten up a little where you would go macro. and if your referring to the very light whirring noise there is a little more going on in there now. in continuous AF it is in constant correction mode. in single/continuous AF shot too you have the anti shake doing its thing too.

thank you for the quick response. i guess when you move the camera from side to side up and down roll it over it is the shake mechanism you hear. the noise i am hearing is when you rotate lens ,zoom it in and out there is a spot that makes a kind of clicking noise. sounds like plastic gears???
dr2ooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:36 AM   #4

no mine is the standard sliding sound. if your getting anything other then that i would take issue with it.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 9:01 AM   #5

the funny thing is that a1 is suddenly (after several weeks) sold in europe for less money than 7i and 7hi.
as phil askey says in his review, the image quality is miles behind it's hi-end gizmos that are pumped in this camera. for what it has so many functions, if the image quality is worse than that from sony dsc-f717?
xixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:39 AM   #6

it produces the image that i can work with. when you disect something it you find its good points and its bad points ageed. i weighed them and found this camera to be one of the best overall for image and features as a whole. as an all in one it is great better in most ways then any in its class. using the 717 as an example is sort of joke i hope. awkward. poor flash capability. no RAW. no true wide angle. memorystick. so what did sony do? essentially copied the D series concept and created the 828 an almost carbon copy feature for feature. says a lot for minolta doesn't it.

look you can take an excellent image with any camera. there is no perfect digital camera. you choose the one you can work with.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:49 AM   #7

using the 717 as an example is sort of joke i hope. awkward. poor flash capability. no RAW. no true wide angle. memorystick. [/quote]

a joke? well, it is - as many people but you know - a king of resolution between 5MB digital still cameras.

about flash: do you think any man who needs a flash is not able to buy external flash and is fully dependent on that small internal flash? don 't be silly.

about raw mode: do you think f717 is served for professionals? don't be silly. when looking at photo tests, i don't think minolta a1 is for that purpose - picture quality is worse than that from f717. anyway: to be fair, minolta a1 has much more functions than f717. but i think the picture quality is much more appropiate argument than number of these functions.

about true wide-angle: there are several wide-angle add lens you can very well live with.

about memorystick: i am sorry, but you are silly again, i think. yes, it has memorystick - and what? it is not the most expensive medium at all. and not the least reliable at that. yes, minolta has also cf II - but again: it has worse picture quality.

i simply consider your message to be awkward. nevermind

have a nice day
Old Nov 19, 2003, 1:09 PM   #8

without raw it is not the king of resolution is it now? to call a jpg based camera that would be just plain wrong and without merit. jpg compression by itself will reduces image quality and introduce artifacts that would otherwise not even be in a image.

as you add lenses to the origin lens you lose resolution, contrast, and overall quality. fact. i can do without that.

RAW vs jpg. in the long run there is no comparison. you better get used to it even the 828 shoots raw now. why because it is a superior format with considerablly higher flexibility in post.

as far as pro use remember it ain't the camera its the photographer.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 8:27 AM   #9

sjms: ad the king of resolution theme - check the tests:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/mino...ea1/page20.asp

you can see easily the difference both when looking at the pictures and the resolution table. below that is the nice conclusion:

The DiMAGE A1 loses out to the two other five megapixel digital cameras here for the same reason the DiMAGE 7Hi did, lower than expected resolution performance combined with strong moire at the limit. It's a pity that Minolta didn't spend more time on the DiMAGE A1's Bayer interpolation and image processing algorithms in order to deliver clean images with the higher resolution I am sure the lens is delivering to the sensor.

and in the conclusion you may find these cons:
* Lower resolution that we would expect for the money
* Noise increases at slower shutter speeds and especially long exposures
* Moiré visible near resolution limits

to call f717 "jpg based camera" is your another mistake. it has tiff format as well as jpg.

nice day.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 10:06 AM   #10

Lower resolution that we would expect for the money
personal opinion

Noise increases at slower shutter speeds and especially long exposures
jpg only not in RAW. Raw give greater latitude. by the way so does yours.

Moiré visible near resolution limits
i don't shoot test charts all day. i shoot pictures. have yet to produce an image that moire became an issue. again easily delt with

Image processing artifacts in JPEG images (dots, moiré, etc.) not in RAW converted
thats right not in RAW only in jpg and in jpg these can be easily delt with in post

Indicated Infinity in Manual Focus mode leads to out-of-focus infinity subjects (here)
yes ther is an issue the because you can go beyond infinity(which is dumb. but i think there is a reason)

Can not magnify a RAW / TIFF files
not an issue. i can tether it to a laptop and review each shot on a reasonable size screen.
Shutter release lag slightly slower than expected
i don't think so. but it ain't my 1Ds

Average buffer size, average continuous shooting speed
i'll buy that. but then so are the rest.

No blinking highlights in histogram playback mode
with the real time historgram before you shoot looking at it after is secondary you can see where it will clip on the RTD. yes it might be nice to have it in the image but i have found on the 1Ds i usually have it off.

Unrequired separate play mode, should have shooting priority play mode via QV button
personal opinion

Poorly positioned tripod mount
thats a biggie. i use arca swiss plates any way put it where yuo want it. i can shift my camera wherever i need to on the plane

No AF assist lamp (although not absolutely essential with the this AF system)
thats right it doesn't need it.

i shoot pictures not specs. everything he based his on was jpg not RAW. RAW shifts the playing field. he can't and you can't compare there. and that is where i play.

these are color cameras the 717 colors need a bit of fixing there for accuracy. that also can be done in post.

lets face it the 828 (except for its lousy ergonomics) may eclipse both cameras in the long run.