Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 15, 2003, 7:48 PM   #1

Default Help! indoor shots yellow - s414

HI guys,

I'm having some trouble with my s414 and I don't know if it's something i'm doing or if something is wrong with the camera. Indoor shots are very yellow. I've had it since June and it would occasionally throw a yellow shot but lately almost all my indoor shots are very yellow. I don't know if i've changed something in the settings or if it's malfunctioning. Any ideas?
tolpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2003, 8:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Chances are, it's just your white balance settings.

If you're using flash, it will probably work OK using Auto white balance. If not, then you'll probably want to set it to the lighting conditons you are in (Incandescent, etc.).

It also has a Custom White Balance feature (allowing you to set the white balance based on taking a photo of a white card, in the lighting conditions you're using it in).

You can see how it's white balance performs at the review Phil Askey did of the older S404 (he hasn't reviewed the S414, but the white balance probably works the same) here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltas404/page12.asp
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:28 AM   #3

I find most digicams don't get indoor tungsten WB right in auto. Fixed WB does it better BUT you have to remember to change it when going outside!

I've also found that turning up the ISO speed a notch seems to help the AF and WB. You say you think it has changed? Could it be you had auto fill flash on before? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 6:51 PM   #4

WB may be part of the problem. However, it has been reported that the flash on the S414 throws a yellow tint. If you look at the lens on the front of the flash, it has a yellowish/orange tint to it.

To determine whether it is flash or WB causing the problem, try disabling the flash, manually set the WB using a clean white sheet of paper as your reference. The manual explains how to do it. Shoot a couple of shots and see if the yellow tint is there. If the yellow tint is still there, WB is not your problem. If the tint is gone, the flash is most likely the problem.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:49 PM   #5

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great suggestions! White balance adjustment seems to have done the trick. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out

Thanks again,
Pam
tolpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 5:12 AM   #6

Tolpuppy.... Re your original post and replies you received. I've had my S414 1 day now with the option to return it.

I agree with you that when this camera is used in full auto mode with flash on, it produces yellow pictures. I looked at the EXIF Makernotes which the camera produces in its file. When the flash is used in auto mode the camera does NOT do an auto white balance, say on the first pre-flash. It sets a preset white balance and the figures it uses for Red Green(always 1) & Blue are in the file header. These balance figures are a lot different to those used for preset Daylight which flash is close to.

So I selected program mode and preset white balance to daylight and pics came out ok. I then pointed the camera outside at night (no available light to confuse) and took shots both in Auto Flash, and with flash used in the Daylight white balance preset. Again, the Auto flash mode produced yellow pics.

If you use the fill flash option in auto mode (that's when you may want to front light a subject in daylight) you will get a yellow pic. Even worse, if you are in an outside low daylight situation (early morning), the flash will auto fire using the cameras non-daylight white balance setting and you will also get a yellow picture.

You can guess where this is leading to. I phoned Minolta. They said do a factory reset (doesn't fix anything) and they said there is no firmware upgrade route for their 'S' series cameras. Mine is 1.00e.

So if you buy the S414 you get a cracking lens/ccd system with the best image detail I've seen, BUT in the most common shooting mode - indoor auto flash, you will get yellow pictures which PS auto colour will fix.

To add to Jimc's post, I think with flash ON you should be preseting to daylight balance, not tungsten. The reason is the camera will shutter up for the brighter flash, which will be more dominant than tungsten. Of course if flash is OFF, Jimc is correct - preset for tungsten

Incidentally, power consumed with display on is 1.2 amps, and 0.46A with it off. So I wouldn't keep it on too long as the memory card seems to be at the hot end - even for a UK Winter!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote