Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 18, 2003, 1:58 AM   #1

Default LCD Display on S414

Hi, I just got a new S414 and have noticed that the live image and/or the photograph does now cover the entire LCD display - there is about a 1mm gap / blank border on the right side and on the top. Otherwise the display screen works fine and the entire panel (edge to edge) lights up when I am using the menus. Am I being too picky or is this a real problem? Shall I return the camera for an exchange?
avsroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2003, 7:51 AM   #2

Hi, I'm interested to see how you get on with the S414. I've got one coming this week. The handbook says the display is 'approximately 100%'. I don't know what that means, what's important is to compare the image on the file with what the ccd shows - do this on a tripod (if the 414 will stay horizontal!).

Sometimes the horizontal and vertical size of an lcd array doesn't exactly match the aspect of the image, resulting in black margins along one edge. To some extent this is OK since the display space is often fully used for menu text overlays. You probably already know that optical gives a reduction, variable with zoom setting, but this is normal.

I'm considering this camera only for its potential lens and image quality, some of the reported 'negatives' are of lesser concern to me - but I hope the low friction function wheel others have mentioned, doesn't mean the camera turning on in the bag. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 8:26 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Here is the initial feedback. Although I have the camera for less than 24 hours now, I think it is really great. It is a bit heavy and clunky compared to some of the others, but easy to hold and use. The features are easy to access after you flip through the manual once. It is quite a power hog - I got the 2100 Sanyo Nimh cells with a RipVan100 charger that seems to work fine so far. The picture quality is excellent - I have checked on my PC monitor - will know better once I print a few over the weekend. I am still not happy about the two black bands on the LCD Display - it looks odd - they should have better quality control! Let me know if it show up on your camera too.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 7:03 AM   #4

vsroy, the lcd display on mine is image right out to the edge of the black mask. If there's a pixel or 2 short, it's not obvious without a magnifying glass. I can see why you need a neck strap and the strange thing is, I can't find any obvious CA shooting trees into a grey sky. Perhaps I need a PS effect to make the pics similar to everybody elses! VOX
Old Nov 20, 2003, 5:25 AM   #5

avsroy.......I posted some feedback re yellow pics, including the following:

Incidentally, power consumed with display on is 1.2 amps, and 0.46A with it off. So I wouldn't keep it on too long as the memory card seems to be at the hot end - even for a UK Winter!

So it's best to get used to the optical viewfinder. That's the penalty for a 1.8" larger display. It's a pity they couldn't offer an option to turn the lcd on during shutter half press preview. Regards - VOX
Old Nov 20, 2003, 5:51 PM   #6

I got my s414 about 2 weeks ago I don't have a problem with the lcd screen. When they say then lcd is approx the same as apicture it means that the lcd screen is about 94 5 OF THE PICTURE. This means that if you are not careful framing your picture you can end up with something in it you did not want(that you could not see in the lcd) I love the camera and think its a great value for the price.

cheers Jim
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 5:15 AM   #7

ironbrewer, I'd agree with you on the display - although you might gather I'm not using it much. Are you seeing yellowish pics on Auto mode flash indoors? On the framing issue, most are cropping for 6X4 prints, so seeing a bit less should't be a problem unless you want the full frame.VOX
Old Nov 21, 2003, 1:18 PM   #8

Hey Vox
page 60 of your manual will tell you how to set preset white balances. Try the tungsten setting for indoor shots. This should help out quite a bit.

Ironbrewer
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 1:47 PM   #9

Hello All,

Thanks for your responses. It is evident that the unit I had received had a defect as the "optical image" kept floating around on the LCD display - it was at the center at power on with 1 - 1.5mm black bands all around and then shifted to the left after a few minutes and the black bands increased on the right and top of the frame.

Since I noticed this on the first day, I have sent it back for an exchange - will write an update after I receive the next unit.

Cheers!
Old Nov 23, 2003, 8:30 PM   #10

Hey Ironbrewer, see my post here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=16687

I'm afraid I suspect the S414 has duff numbers in its firmware for auto flash white bal. It's no good setting white bal. to Tungsten when shooting electronic flash, as the flash is nearer daylight, and it's the dominant light source up to 3.5 metres.

Tungsten white bal. is the mode to use when your shooting indoors, no flash, with normal lightbulbs. But then on the S414, you'd be at 400 ASA with noise and not much zoom.

Incidentally, if you get fed up of the on/off wheel switching on in the bag try this:

Produce a Coreldraw image (this is your template) of a circle 21mm diameter, with a second inner concentric circle of 12mm diameter. Copy a few of these, cut one out and glue it to a piece of plastic 0.5mm thick or a bit less (pringle lids/youghurt tops/butter boxes - whatever plastic you find about the right thickness. Now carefully cut round the outer circle with scissors, and the inner circle with a scalpel. Now cut a 'V' in the small 'doughnut' you've made and slip this under the S414 function wheel. I found 0.5mm thickness plastic a shade on the tight side, BUT the camera will never turn itself on by itself now!

PS anybody else had the camera lockup when switching between multi shoot 9 image display and then turning the display off?

You can only 'get out of jail' by taking out a bat., as nothing else will switch off the camera and send the lens back to closed position. I thought Minolta had a good reputation? VOX