Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 28, 2003, 2:58 PM   #1
jvc

Default DiMAGE Z1 Rattling/Noisy Lens.

:?

I note from another member that their Z1 lens "wobbles"
I have just taken delivery of mine and the carton looked as if it had been in the ring with Frank Bruno.
I thought it must be knackered - obviously not.
Is this normal then?
Mine rattles like buggery and it sounds awful when you zoom in and out.
God knows what video soundtracks are going to be like.
Has everyone else got a solid/quiet one, or is this normal and nothing to worry about?
If it's not mormal, it's going back.
Any comments gratefully received - I have 7 days to return it for a refund.[/b]
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:19 PM   #2

I own a Panasonic FZ1 and bought a Minolta DiMage Z1 with the intention of keeping it as an upgrade. I was very disappointed with the overall construction of the Z1, and especially the rattling lens and the very loud zoom motor. It seemed like I was grinding something every time that zoom motor came on! Just wait until you try to record in video mode and discover that the sound is out of sync (is was in all modes for me -- not just the highest resolution).

I don't feel the Z1 is made very well, which is disappointing coming from Minolta. Mine went back to the store within a few days of owning it, and after comparing the two, I'm more than happy with keeping my Panasonic FZ1. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a Panasonic zealot or anything -- it's just those are the two cameras I was directly comparing, and the FZ1 won out. Again, I'm very disappointed that the Minolta Z1 didn't work out, because it seemed like a great upgrade to my FZ1.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:57 PM   #3

I have recently purchased a Z1. It does not rattle, and it does not make funny noises. It does take great pictures, and I am thrilled to have purchased it. (no, i do not work for Minolta, or whoever it was that bought out Minolta).
sonomablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomablue
I have recently purchased a Z1. It does not rattle, and it does not make funny noises...
I think you're the only one then -- it's mentioned pretty much throughout all the usual forums, and even mentioned in some reviews:

DCResource.com:
"Something else I noticed is that the lens rattles if you give the camera the slightest shake. I'm not sure if this actually affects camera operation, but it's food for thought."

One more thing I should mention to "JVC" -- the zoom will not work while in video mode unless you turn the audio recording off (hmmm...could that be because of the noisey zoom motor or the clickety clack noises that occur when panning around a room with different lighting?) Also, it would be interesting to know if you encountered what I did with video mode -- the audio was out of sync with the video any time I used 30fps frame rate, whether in 640x480 mode or even just 320x200 (or whatever the lower res mode is). Others have reported it was only out of sync when in the highest resolution and frames per second, but in my experience/tests, it seemed to be in all modes when you're using 30fps instead of 10fps.

Again, I want to emphasize that I'm not really trying to knock the camera, as much as pass on my experience to others who may be interested in it. The Minolta Z1 was a big disappointment to me, and I mean that sincerely -- I really wanted this camera to work for me, but there were just too many "buts".
Old Dec 20, 2003, 8:47 AM   #5

I can recommend the Z1, I have had the camera for 2 months and no
problems. The lens movement is supposed to be there and its a trait found in other makes of camera.

It gets exposure spot on 9x out of 10, auto focus is quick
and v good, in wide mode it rarely fails even in low light. Noise at
ISO 50/100 is not an issue, colour is spot on, macro is excellent.
I like the ergonomics, the custom button is excellent, the high refresh screen is a gem and I found
the quality of the EVF view better than the Fuji 5000 and Oly 750.
Shutter lag is simply not an issue. I have moved over from a Canon
Eos 100 35mm slr and I doubt I will use it again. Battery life is
good and with a young family I have found myself making more use of
the high quality video than I thought I would. The sound sync problem is not there at 15fps which I prefer as 30 fps use up your card very quickly! For the price nothing comes close in my opinion. With all its features you need to spend time with it.
I have some pictures at http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/picview.jsp?album=30518
Stewart Cocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:05 AM   #6

Hello EffZeeOne.
You continue to be on "Minolta Forum". I've seen your answers to many sites on "Minolta Forum" and You continue to repeat how well your FZ1 is working, how satisfied You are and so. We know now so we don't need your comments. You owned a Z1 some hours or so (You returned your sample because Z1 was too noisy).
You use DCResource as reference but You didn't accept Jeff's complain of FZ1. When is Jeff right?
You talk about "only zoom without sound. Which camera can do it?
I don't know anyone. You can use the zoom on many cameras "BEFORE" shooting. Why? Because all zooms are more or less noisy and the microphone is inside the camera.
Digital Camera Reviews (Dave)wrote "Based on my testing, I can confidently say that the Minolta DiMAGE Z1 is one of the best bargains on the market for a long-zoom digicam."
Whichone should we believe? Dave or Jeff?
Your experience with Z1 is just what You read. Is not enough.
After your name ther'is always "PanaLumix Yahoo Group". In my opinion it will be better if You will discuss with "Panasonic owners"
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 5:20 PM   #7

EffZeeOne,

A couple of responses to your post. (1) Why do you participate in a Minolta forum if you are a Panasonic bigot? I am not saying that you do not have the right to post here ( it IS open to anyone), but it just seems odd to be reading and posting in a forum for which you are not an owner. (2) I did finally "shake" my Z1, and sure enough there was a bit of rattling. I guess it was my mistake to treat my camera as an expensive piece of "equipment" and not to rattle it, but instead to handle it carefully. I guess the real test for high tech equipment is the "shake" test, huh? Maybe, next, I will get out my $3,000 laptop, and shake it. It has been working fine for several months, but maybe I won't know for certain (if it is any good) unless I apply the "shake" test. Do you recommend the "drop" test as well? If so, from what height do you drop your high tech equipment (2ft, 3ft, 5ft, or what) thanks. Lest you be offended, i hope that you are adult enough to read the tongue in cheek.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomablue
EffZeeOne,

A couple of responses to your post. (1) Why do you participate in a Minolta forum if you are a Panasonic bigot? I am not saying that you do not have the right to post here ( it IS open to anyone), but it just seems odd to be reading and posting in a forum for which you are not an owner. (2) I did finally "shake" my Z1, and sure enough there was a bit of rattling. I guess it was my mistake to treat my camera as an expensive piece of "equipment" and not to rattle it, but instead to handle it carefully. I guess the real test for high tech equipment is the "shake" test, huh? Maybe, next, I will get out my $3,000 laptop, and shake it. It has been working fine for several months, but maybe I won't know for certain (if it is any good) unless I apply the "shake" test. Do you recommend the "drop" test as well? If so, from what height do you drop your high tech equipment (2ft, 3ft, 5ft, or what) thanks. Lest you be offended, i hope that you are adult enough to read the tongue in cheek.
Although I can easily take your #2 response as "tongue in cheek", to your #1 response I do take some offense. I think I've emphasized enough throughout all of my responses that I really did want the Minolta Z1 to work for me (as an upgrade to my Panasonic FZ1), but it did not. All perspectives should be welcome here -- not just responses from "Minolta bigots" (to use your vocabulary) who are going to always say that the Z1 is the best camera out there. If everyone here does nothing but comment on the cameras that they absolutely love, how is any shopper going to use the information to help in a purchase decision? I guess you folks feel that all the review sites should post glowing reviews of cameras or not post anything at all? That's just silly and very unuseful to anyone doing any camera shopping. I find comments like yours where you say you've found nothing wrong with the Z1 to be suspect. There's something wrong or undesireable with EVERY camera...period. Ask me about the things wrong with my FZ1 -- expect a medium to long response.

As for your comment on the "shake and drop" series of testing -- that was pretty darn funny (I laughed out loud)! However, I didn't have to "shake" the Z1 I bought to get the lens to rattle. Just taking it in and out of the box and my camera bag, tilting it forward to review pictures the LCD, and other normal (non-shaking) misc. handling would result in the lens clunking around. Admittedly, my Panasonic FZ1 lens does something similar, but no where near as drastic, and I have to say that you pretty much have to do the "shake" test (albeit delicately) to the Panasonic FZ1 to get the lens to rattle at all. I don't advise the drop test on any digicam, unless you're referring to dropping the Z1 back in its box, dropping it into the mail bin or dropping it back into the lap of the store you bought from! That was meant as "tongue in cheek" as well. :P

As for Foffodc's comments, I find this person to be very rude, as they have now attacked me personally as well as my opinions on two different public message boards. Again, I guess Foffodc only wants to see positive reviews about their choice of cameras or else the writer of the review needs to go away at his request. Very rude person! Honestly, if I was shopping for a Z1, I might be turned off by it just because someone so rude (and so much of an obvious Minolta zealot) like Foffodc likes the Z1 so much...a little too much. I would guess that he's attacking the criticisms of others because he too is disappointed with his camera choice -- at least a little or I don't think he would be so defensive.

Oh, and my FZ1's zoom is silent, which is why every FZ1 owner wants to know why they cannot zoom in video mode. WHAT?! Did the "Panasonic Bigot" just admit a flaw in his camera of choice? WHAT?! :P

For those who think this is the first Z1 thread I've posted to, you can read my original "review" of the Z1 here (about 2/3 of the way down the page):

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...r=asc&start=50

I think you will see that my review was very fair, very thorough, and had very ligitimate points, complaints, and even compliments about the Z1. I suggest that anyone claiming me to be a Panasonic bigot or a Minolta hater go and read my previous postage message linked above.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:59 PM   #9

Default Z1 Opinions

EffZeeOne, I for one appreciate your contrary opinions on the Z1. It's always helpful to know the plusses and minuses in any situation.

That said, I also appreciate foffodc's and sonomablue's criticisms of your repeated postings. Why? Because until I read their responses, I was under the impression, from reading these and other boards, that there were a rash of negative opinions on the Z1. I now know that the negative opinions are from one person. Again, while it's useful to hear these opinions, it's also useful to know that it's an opinion from just one person, not a whole bunch of people.

Just my two cents.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:28 PM   #10

EffZeeOne,

I was appreciating your response, until I got to this line:

I find comments like yours where you say you've found nothing wrong with the Z1 to be suspect.

Tell me, in which of my posts did i EVER say that I had found "nothing" wrong with my Z1?

When you start making sh&t up on a message board, then you loose all credibility. I NEVER said that there was "nothing" wrong with my Z1. You made that statement up - so that you could then attack me for it. What a cheap shot.

The only reason that i posted any comments at all, was because I had purchased the Z1 and was/am very pleased with it. I simply wanted to communicate that fact to the many readers of this message board - especially because the only posts that i had seen about the Z1 were negative.

I do find it interesting that you "quote" some review site which had a negative comment about the Z1. Yet, when i do a search of digital camera review sites, and search for reviews on your camera (Panasonic FZ1) I find many negative comments about your camera. Yet, I don't see you post those reviewer's comments on this website. (You did tease us by saying that you could list negatives about your camera. OK, since you have chosen to take such a strong stance against the Z1, and include reviewer's comments, I take you up on your offer. Go for it. List the negatives of your camera as well, and be sure to include the review site's negative comments as well. Just to be fair, right?)

You make the comment that all perspectives should be welcome here. And, you make that comment just below my statement "it IS open to anyone". I had just stated that this board is open to anyone, and yet you defend your right to post - as if I had made some statement that you could not, or should not post comments. Try not to make sh&t up, and then start some argument or debate based on your made up statements.

methinks thou doest protest too much.

Enjoy your camera EffZeeOne. I am surely enjoying my Z1.