Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 29, 2003, 2:33 PM   #1

Default F-300 or Sony DSC-P92 or ????

Hi. I am thinking of a second smaller sized camera. I am thinking of either the sony P92 or the Minolta f-300. If you have any thoughts or experience with either, I would like some help narrowing it down. Or suggest another in this price range and quality. I demand sharp clean picrues and am concerned with picture quality on the ultra small cameras such as the casio, pentax and little minolta. THANK you!
jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2003, 9:23 PM   #2
Administrator

You may want to look at the new G500, too.

I bought a Konica KD-510z in July (after returning a Sony DSC-P10 that I wasn't happy with).

I've been quite pleased with the Konica. The new Minolta DiMAGE G500 is the same camera (after Konica and Minolta merged, they decided to market it under the Minolta label in the U.S., and under the Konica label in Asia and Europe).

You can see some photos from mine at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 11:24 PM   #3

Thanks Jim. I will add it to the list. I would like to get a camera that does not take a propriatary battery, unless thats not that big of a deal. If all else fails, its sure easy to just go buy a couple of AA's any any store to make your camera work?
jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:24 AM   #4
Administrator

AA Alkaline batteries won't work well for Digital Cameras, because they draw too much power. You'll need to buy a charger with high capacity NiMH Batteries for a camera that uses AA batteries.

AA Alkaline batteries are an advantage in some ways, because in an Emergency, you can usually take a handful of photos, before they are depleted. I've tried them in digital cameras in the past, and as a general rule, I could never get more than about 15 minutes of use with the LCD on. AA NiMH Batteries usualy give a couple of hours of use in the same type of Digital Camera, and they can be recharged many times (usually around 1000 times, before needing replacing).

The good news, is that you can buy a Charger, with 4 high capacity (around 1800mAh) NiMH batteries for around $25.00. Even Wal-Mart has inexpensive Charger/AA NiMH Battery packages. Radio Shack has one too (around $25.00 for a charger and four 1600 mAh batteries). However, the lower priced Radio Shack chargers are "overnight" chargers. Some of the newer chargers are much faster (about 2 hours, for some of the ones available at Wal-Mart for about the same price).

Proprietary Rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries have their advantages, too. For one thing, they hold their charge longer (NiMH Batteries tend to lose their charge when they sit for a few days; whereas Lithium Ion Batteries hold their charge for much longer periods.

As a general rule, Proprietary Batteries tend to be easier to charge and load, too. They usually only fit in a charger and camera one way (so you don't have to worry about polarity, etc., trying to load more than one battery).

For either type (AA NiMH Batteries; or rechargeable Lithium Ion Batteries), it's always a good idea to carry spares.

Generic 850mAh Lithium Ion Batteries for the G500 are available on Ebay for very reasonable prices. One Ebay vendor is selling two spares for around $21.00. The G500 uses the same battery as the Konica KD-310z, KD-400z, KD-500z, and KD-510z (the DR-LB4). Minolta just gave it a different part number when they marketed this camera under the Minolta label in the U.S.

Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=43447

BTW, I know of a user that dropped his Minolta F300 from some bleachers, and needed a replacement camera. I suggested he try the new Minolta G500 instead. He was hesitant, so I suggested he buy it from a vendor with a no restocking fee policy, to see if he liked it better.

He took me up on my suggestion. This is what he said:

"I did what you mentioned. I got the G500 for a couple of days, used it, and loved it. Compared to the F300, it's faster, the photos have a greater range of tones, it's sturdier and easier to use. I've even played with a few of the images with Photoshop Elements, and the enhanced version I create still is outmatched by the original.--which really surprised me. Thanks for the great information, and for leading me to the details on how to customize the menu options.

Ken"

See the posts from user 1574kc in this thread at megapixel.net:

http://www.megapixel.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8536
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote