Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:24 AM   #11

I am also looking at the 7hi and the 'noise problem' is a issue. I printed a test shot that had noise visable, but it didn't show in the print (8x10 matte photo paper).
I have looked at the A1, but it really is out of my price range, Actually the 7hi ($600 best price now) is more than I want to spend. My other Choices are the Z1 and the Fuji S3000.
I'm affraid if I wait longer for the price of the A1 to come down it will be another year. I have put this off for over a year now as it is because of the many choices and all the issues each camera seems to have. Where one suceeds another fails!

I feel like getting my Brownie Starmite back out!
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:56 AM   #12
hst

Default I see noise in prints

I have printed hundreds of shots with my 7hi and the noise is visable. Its not apparent in every photo but if you look close almost all prints show some noise. Neat Image will do a great job taking it out. My real issues with the 7hi are:
1) Minolta Support - It took me 6 months to clear up an issue. It was during the merger which probably hampered the process.
2) No consistancy. I get blurry out of focus pictures regularly. It will look in focus on the viewfinder to find its out when you go to view it on your PC it is out of focus. Minolta doesn't recongnize this as a problem. It happens a lot. I always like to get a picure of my children when they first see the Christmas tree with presents on Christmas morning. This year, 7HI failed as the photo was very blurry. A one chance shot. This has happened over and over again. My old Kodak DC3400 hardly every has any focus problems like this and cost almost 1/3rd less.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 2:34 PM   #13

I have to agree with the above, my 7Hi has also produces the occasional blurred image even under ideal conditions. Out of the 400+ photos I took on our last Holiday to Florida in November/December there are about 20 shots in daylight with a stationary subject that have turned out to be blurred.

The shots looked OK in preview mode on the LCD and shutter speeds were between 1/60 and 1/500. It also produces "grainy" images of facial shots with poor definition of features. Both these problems were pointed out when the camera went to Minolta service here in the UK to have the usual cracked panel replaced. The camera came back with new firmware but no improvement in quality except the flash shots which had been quite poor were slightly better, also the rubber hand grip now drops off when it was fine before!.

I bought a Sigma EF500 dg Super and this has certainly improved the flash shots, the cameras default shutter speed with the in-built flash always set to 1/45 which resulted in blurred images but the Sigma sets it to 1/125 which helps, however, results with the in-built flash on my 35mm QTSi Minolta which fires in a burst/strobe mode are much better.

The only other problem I've got with it became apparent when we spent the day at the Kissimmee Christmas Extravaganza, there was a parade starting around 7pm so it was quite dark, even though the floats etc. were brightly lit the autofocus missed almost every shot and about 50% of the time refused to focus at all. I ended up shooting on manual focus but having forgot the Sigma I was using the in-built flash and results were very grainy and poorly lit.

This is the first time since buying the camera I've actually thought of selling it and looking for something else. By comparison the shots taken on my Casio QV3500 and JVC mini-dv camcorder all came out much better!.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:37 PM   #14
hst

Default Im with you on the selling. I just listed mine.

I am trying to sell mine now. I hope to purchase a different camera in the near future. I will gladly take a loss just to get in a different camera. I will do more research with my next purchase and try to avoid the issues I have experienced.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:02 AM   #15

Question is; does the A1 address any of this?

As far as focus problems, 20 out of 400 isn't that bad and you do have a manual focus override that few cameras have.

Too bad they went with a proprietary battery! I know the 7 series are a power hog, but now you havwe to contend with big $$ for power even if it does last longer.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:26 AM   #16

no AF camera gives 100% on the focus. my 1Ds gets it right about 85% of the time. referencing that if i get 80% out of the A1 i feel good.

noise there is no camera that has no noise. i shoot RAW 90% of the time so noise is reduced further there by not processing it in camera. after that a dash of noise ninja or neat image and its done. there are cameras with better and then there are with worse.

the battery in the long run may be better. i'm getting over 250+ shots out of one. . but the you get the vert grip and have it all. 6 nimh, single or double li ion packs plus the bonus vert release.

the concept of using the built in flash at a evening parade and expecting good results was a "reach " at best. don't blame the camera for improper planning.

these cameras are not the level of cameras people want to believe they are. they are not going to give the results of a Dslr. when i shoot with my 1Ds and go back to my A1 it takes a little readjustment. its just reality.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 8:57 PM   #17

"the concept of using the built in flash at a evening parade and expecting good results was a "reach " at best. don't blame the camera for improper planning. "

I fully accept that I forgot to take the Sigma flash but if you read the full paragraph it also says that shots taken with the Casio QV3500 and JVC camcorder at the same time came out much better, the Casio using its own built in flash.

I forgot to add that the Minolta 35mm using its built in flash produced the best results of all and the auto focus only failed to lock on 2 of over 20 shots.

Most of these shots were at a maximum distance of 8 to 12 feet, well withing the quoted range of the cameras flash.

I agree that 20 out of 400 isn't a bad ration but the shots all focus locked with audible confirmation, any I wasn't 100% happy with in the viewfinder I focused again to make sure. Shots taken with the little Casio QV3500 are all in focus apart from 2 taken through glass at an aquarium.

Is there something about Minolta 35mm cameras built in flash and auto focus systems that is missing from the 7Hi?

Happy New Year! it's 2:03am here in snowy County Durham!
Old Jan 1, 2004, 2:01 AM   #18

happy new year to you and all. it is now 02:00 eastern us time.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 8:18 AM   #19

[quote="
I forgot to add that the Minolta 35mm using its built in flash produced the best results of all and the auto focus only failed to lock on 2 of over 20 shots.

I agree that 20 out of 400 isn't a bad ration

strange that you think 2 out of 20 (10%) is good but are upset that 20 out of 400 (5%) is bad when in fact the 35mm camera had twice the failure rate!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 2:20 PM   #20

What I said was that 20 out of 400 of the 7Hi shots which gave a confimed AF were subsequently out of focus, these were in good daylight conditions. Shots where I didn't get an AF lock weren't taken.

The 35mm only failed to AF lock on 2 shots in late evening, the 7Hi wouldn't give AF lock on most of the shots I wanted in the same conditions.