Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 13, 2003, 9:49 AM   #1

Default Just bought an A1 & need help

I've been using a Kodak DC290 and decided it was time for a new camera, so purchased the A1. Needless to say, there are many more features on it than the DC290, and am currenly reading through the manual. Naturally, I wanted to give it a test drive, so took several shots in different modes, including RAW, TIFF, etc., but I was surpirsed, when importing into Phtoshop, that each had a resolution of 72dpi. I need to print at a resolution of 300dpi. What gives?

Also, I purchased the optional power supply but, when plugged in, I only get the blinking "low battery" icon. It works O.K. with the battery alone, but not with power supply plugged in. Is it a defective pwer supply or is there an additional setting I'm not aware of for power source?

I would like to import images directly into Photoshop from the camera, but it appears that they must first be transffered to DiMAGE viewer, or copied to a new file. This is cumbersome and time-consuming. Any advice?

I tried contacting Minolta's customer support, but it appears to be non-existant and they refer you to place of purchase. I called the store at 3 p.m. Eastern Time and got a recording telling me to call back during norma business hrs., M-F from 9-5!

I'm a person who doesn't call support for every little thing, but these are issues that need to be addressd and I haven't been able to find the answers to them in the manual.
spratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:20 AM   #2

1- forget that 72dpi res thing( that is screen res). all cameras images come in at that res. this is not an issue even to be thought of. that includes my 1Ds. if you want to get into the whole physics of the thing go into the forums and research. i print 11x14 regularly and up to 13x19. the upconversion will be done in the printer when you set it for best quality.

2- is it minoltas pwr supply? loose the direct connect off the camera. pull out the card and use a reader. its considerably faster. you will not damage the card in any way as long as your camera is off. this saves your batteries for shooting rather then transferring. it also removes the wallwart from the need/transport equation(who needs it?). send back the pwr supply and get a good CF reader

3- the only images that need to be preprocessed in the D viewer are the RAW images and even that can be worked around by other RAW converters. if you have PS 7 w/ARC 1 or PS CS they automatically recognize the RAW file and bring up their RAW converter for your disposition. below v7 w/arc1 yes you will need to convert your RAW with theirs or other available conertors. all others (jpg,tif)can be directly brought into PS with no problem whatsoever. you have the advantage also of shooting in Adobe RGB colorspace direct if you wish. most people use sRGB though.

4- of the 3 times i have called Minolta for tech support they were quick and courtious and gave the answers i needed. generally this site will have more answers the n the techies at minolta
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:19 AM   #3

1. That's odd. I have owned both the Kodak DC265 and DC290, and both of them saved in 300dpi resoution, depending on the quality settings on the cameras. I superimpose graphics and text over some of my photos and have found that placing them over a photo in one resolution, then re-formatting/re-sixing to another, distorts them to an unacceptable output level. Re-sizing/re-fromatting the downloaded files seems to be an unneccesary step.

2. The majority of my shots can be taken near an AC outlet, therefore, a power supply would save battery useage, so a card reader wouldn't solve my problem. The power supply that was sent me is not Minolta, it is "Digital Concepts". That is why I am wondering if my problem is with the power supply, or a connection setting on the camera.

3. I visited the Minolta site, then went to Americas>US>contact us>cameras + accessories>choose categories>digital cameras>choose a model. Of the approximate twenty, or so, cameras listed, the A1 was not. The only tel. #'s listed appear to be a long distance toll charge to the calling party, (201) 574-4000. Is this the number you use to call their support staff?

Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:10 PM   #4

kodak has chosen to take a different route their nomenclature because the rest of the industry (canon, minolta, olympus, nikon) has chosen to display at 72 dpi. the images themselves are considerably higher in resolution. here is an example

image 1 is the full image displayed at and marked 72dpi(x) 72 dpi(y)

http://www.pbase.com/image/24016966

here is a 145% crop of that image of the shoes in motion taken across a soccer field

http://www.pbase.com/image/24017452

now these both have been reduced so it can come up on a monitor within a reasonable time. if that original image was only 72dpi could you read the name of the shoe flap at that distance and image crop?

on the charger sounds like a bogus charger. i also use a external battery back in the real cold and don'y have that issue. send it back and get the real deal minolta on. thats not a minolta issue. when you start shooting with a 512 or more card you may change your mind. i have multiple cards up to 2gb with 3 different cameras

yes i call them on the 201 number. but then i have a cell phone with nationwide service

are you using a crt or lcd screen?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 1:18 PM   #5

I use CRT's, as the image quality is better for editing graphics and photos. I run dual Xeon processors on one box and have 1012 MB memory on the other, so the time involved in accessing the file isn't as much a problem as having to change resolutions. My intentions are to print the entire print, not to zoom in on a cropped image, which I could do, if necessary with a resolution of 300dpi. Thanks for the info. that this seems to be a proprietary i ssue with Kodak, however, I find it very useful to a person in my situation.

Regardless of my Flash Card size, I see no point in depleting my batteries when AC access isa readily available. I understand that the "Digital Concepts" power supply is not a Minolta issue, but if there were another setting that I failed to have used for AC use, it would be. I saw no reference to an additional setting for AC use in the manual, so wanted to ask to make certain the problem wasn't the power supply, which it apparently is.

I just found a third party plug-in for importing RAW image files directly into PS 7.0, & will be happy to let you know how well it works if you're interested.

Thanks, again.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 1:48 PM   #6

i'm well into PS CS and it built in converter. you should be more interested in that as for the text function improvements as well as the built in raw conversion that supports the A1 very well. also minoltas can be easily linked to PS too. for $160 it well worth it.

what i was demonstrating was if it was only 72dpi that image should have fallen apart well before that crop level.

my machine is a P4 2.8HT
2GB ram
print out on a epson 2200 for proofing and sometimes sale

you may also think of shooting tethered if the computer is near also and bypass the card.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 2:19 PM   #7

I understand what you're saying, but please understand that reformatting the original image to 300dpi involves an additional step for those who wish to begin with a 300dpi image. Although I'm sure that CS is a good upgrade, the third party plug-in that I referred to in my previous post works perfectly and, at a cost of only $20, is well worth the investment.

http://www.dalibor.cz/minolta/plugin.htm

I'm printing on an Epson Stylus Pro 7600 with a maximum print size of 24" X 65', but will primarily be printing 24" X 30" poster-size prints with special effects. Therefore, originating with a 300dpi file eliminates additional steps that are unnecessary in my situation.

I plan to tether directly to the computer for the majority of my shots, but there will be times when I am unable to do so. Apparently others have encountered the same problem with resolution, ergo, the new feature in CS and the development of the software I linked to.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 2:33 PM   #8

ok. have at it
Old Dec 13, 2003, 2:54 PM   #9

Thanks for your feedback.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 6:28 AM   #10

I must agree with SJMS, you are fussing over nothing regarding the 72dpi SCREEN resolution setting in Photoshop.

However, you CAN change the default. To do so, go into PREFERENCES and then UNITS AND RULERS.

On that screen you will see the default print and screen resolutions. You should note that the default print resolution IS set at 300 dpi. If you want your default screen resolution set to 300 also, then just change it here.

On your tethered shooting situitation, I would rethink that, as the USB connection on the camera will probably not stand up to much mishandling. With a cord always sticking out of the camera, sooner or later it will snag and then you may end up with a damaged connector.

My suggestion is just use the battery pack and have a spare one on standby. Another option with the A1 is to get the handle unit which can hold 2 batteries OR AA's.

Rechargeable NiMH AA's are cheap and now quite powerful. I use 2100 mAh Sanyo's and these things just keep on going and going and ....

Anyway, I, personally, prefer not to be tethered, either to the computer or the wall AC socket.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote