Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 13, 2003, 2:23 PM   #1

Default Reliable place to buy my Minolta Dimage A1

Hi all,
I'm all set to order my Dimage A1. My question is where to buy from.

It's difficult to get a true view of the seller's ratings because apparently, many of the 5 star reviews are written by the employees of the company.

This camera seems to be available (with US warranty) from:
Butterfly,
Best Digital,
Cameras and Electronics,
I Buy Digital,
Beach Camera,
Shop Harmony,
Inoax.com
Abe's of Maine
CameraTopia
..... or any other sellers....

I'd sure appreciate it if anyone could give me some positive or negative feedback on these companies.

Also, what are everyone's general feelings, (negative or positive) on the A1 would be of great help.

Thanks!
ogannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2003, 5:36 PM   #2

I Just purchased an A1 last week, & was also concerned about the company's reputation, in addition to price. After an extensive search, I decided on buydigital.com, who appears to be operating under more than one name, each showing slightly different prices.

I placed the order late Weds. night and wasn't expecting to receive it until next week, however, it arrived on Friday. I paid an additional $7.00 for Fedex Saver shipping, as I have found that UPS ground shipping is a guessing game; it can be a few days or a couple of weeks.

Although they shipped the wrong power supply, (which I will have to send back to them on Monday), the ratings for customer satisfaction were quite high and they appear to be very reputable. The price for the camera was $682.00 + shipping, with no sales tax. The salesman who answered the phone, (Peter), did ask me if I had any additional questions and attempted to sell me additional accessories, but I told him that I was pushing my budget the way it was, & he just said "O.K.", without any further attempts to push add-ons. He did try to sell me batteries and a charger but, when I informed him that the camera came with them, he apologized and claimed to have it consfused with the Fugi.

One word of warning is to stay away from Infinity Camera, (or similar name). I have seen prices advertised by them on dealtime.com, and other sites, with prices that are "too good to be true". After reading customer responses on several sites, my theory was confirmed, as numerous people posted responses complaining about them claiming to be "out of stock", after the sale was made. Obviously, they can't sell the cameras for the prices they advertise, unless over-priced accessories are added.

I wish I could give you additional info. about my satisfaction with the camera but, as I said, I just received it and am still reading the manual. (There's a ton of "bells and whistles".) I've taken a few pics with it, but think it would be unfair to evaluate it without a thorough knowledge of its' operation capabilities. The more I've read and studied about it, though, the more I believe I made the right decision. The next step will probably be the Canon 10D or higher, but that remains to be seen, as technology is advancing so rapidly. As far as I could see, the only "better" camera is the Canon Rebel, but it does have its' limitations. I couldn't justify spending more for lenses that the Minolta is presently capable of, even if they could be kept for a 10D camera in the future.
spratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:49 PM   #3

you better watch and confirm with each one that it is a Minolta USA warranty. not their US warranty. people and words have a bad habit of being mis represented.

one store on your list has the usa warranty right in the ad but when asked i was told it was a misprint and the price was for a intl warranty camera. also other issues as to if the battery and charger was part of the package. oh yeh the misprint was on the website for over 2 months and obviously has not been "corrected"
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:07 AM   #4

(deleted by author)

Thanks, sjms!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:15 AM   #5

look at those names on the approvals. they're are mostly bulls**t names. they created their own fake following. its easy to do if you have a little time, just like ebay. its a minefield out there.

this is what we're here for

your welcome
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:58 AM   #6

Well, I now feel like a complete fool. Your original post concerned me, so I went directly to the warranty card that begins, "KONICA MINOLTA INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY", followed by, "This international warranty is applicable outside the the country where the product was purchased, and within that country only if it was purchased outside the United States, Japan, Canada, or Sweden."
After reading that, I became upset and wrote the above post.

However, after reading through theentire warranty, (2 sided card), it goes on to say, "KONICA MINOLTA PHOTO IMAGING U.S.A., INC., LIMITED WARRANTY OWNER'S PORTION", and goes on to say that the camera IS covered for one year if purchased new in the U.S.

Additionally, on the reverse sie, it states, "KONICA MINOLTA PHOTO IMAGING U.S.A., INC. LIMITED WARRANTY", with U.S.A. Warranty Period listed as 1 year.

My apologies to the above refernced comp[any, whose name I will edit out, although I do feel I have a legitimate issue re: the power supply.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:44 AM   #7

be glad you rechecked. i'm happy you did not take the shank.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:46 PM   #8
csd

I just bought an A1 from www.buydig.com
Great price ($709), great reliable site.
I checked www.pricegrabber.com and www.bizrate.com and eliminated sites that had very bad ratings and checked prices at sites that had good ratings. The sites you mention (at least the ones I checked out) had either a higher price or a very poor rating/customer-experiences.
Check them out.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:35 AM   #9

Now I know being here on the net I maight catch alot of flak for saying this but even though you will pay more, go with a retailer who you can walk through their doors. If you have issues you can walk in speak to "Bob" and ask him what he is going to do for you while you look into his face. Also most of them offer a warrantee that covers more than the manufacturers defects. (ie Ritz...almost anything, Best Buy...battery replacement...etc,). Just my opinion but I believe it's a valid one.

Lem
D-Lemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:47 AM   #10
csd

I felt the same way at first - but decided it wasn't worth the extra $200. I mean, in this case, walking in the door to purchase would cost an extra 28% ($899 versue $709) - so you have to ask yourself if purchasing from a store is worth the extra 28%.
Your credit card will protect you for DOA/non-delivery type issues, and you will still have the Minolta US Warranty.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote