Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:31 AM   #11
csd

Default Re: The a1 is cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by recca
How good is the quality of pics & what are the noise level like on the A1 at default setting for outdoor shots? Indoors shoots?
I
You can look at the reviews sited above for samples - in my case I have taken numerous indoor shots under various lighting conditions (a fully flourecent dance studio, my incandecent living room, my kids rooms) and outdoor shots under various conditions (sunny, cloudy, nighttime) and am only seeing noise on the darkest of the indoor shots using all FULLY-AUTO settings. So it seems, from my experience, I only need to make adjustments to get good shots from the full auto setting when indoors with very little light (and by little light I'm talking about taking a picture of one of my daughters sleeping with only a nightlight on in the room). Perhaps my eyes aren't as discerning as one - but so far - I have seen no problems with noise except for the case I mention.
Another reason I chose the A1 - is because I did also want an occasional video clip (understanding this is not to be a substitute for a real digcamcorder). Not sure if you ever plan on using a video mode on occasion - you didn't mention this as your criteria - but just in case I'll add that at the A1's 24 fps I have found the video-mode of the A1 very fluid. Under low-light the video mode, with default setting, will auto-switch to B&W if necessary which I find kind of cool as well.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:17 PM   #12

Default thanks

Thanks for all the hearty responses and the great help.

I've seen a lot of pictures posted by steve and other review sites. One of the problems I have with review sites is that most of the photograph are taken by semi to pro photographers. What I like to have them do is to post two sets of pictures up. One taken by the reviewer with expeiernce and one taken by someone who is an point and shoot person. I'm sure there will be a big difference in the way the pictures will look.

Lens: As far as I can tell from going into the store the default lens on the canon seems pretty good to me for now. I took a few shots and the zoom feature might not be 7x but it's at least a 3x to maybe 4x from what I can tell. Perhaps in the future (a year or 2 later) I might consider upgrading the lense system but for now I don't think I will. So the whole interchangeable lens thing really doens't mean much to me until at least a 1 or 2 years later.

Weight: is a concern for me but I don't think I will be using the A1, F828 or the Rebel as a pocket cam like s400. Whatever cam I get will probably be used for family outtings, football games, basketball games..etc, nature shots, vacations pics, Dinner parties, birthdays and so . No studio work whatso ever

Movie mode: I don't really need a movie mode if it had one that's cool.

Print size: For the time being most of my prints will be pretty much be between 4x6 to 8x10 and maybe 11x14 or whatever the next measurement is.

How much noise exist in the raw images of the A1?

Thanks again
recca
recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:40 PM   #13
csd

Default zoom conisderation on your decision

I haven't played much with RAW mode yet - so can't answer that question but I just wanted to make sure you fully thought out the zoom trade-off you mentioned.
Be very careful when thinking you don't need more than 3X or 4X zoom. You should borrow a camera and take it to a place that you would use your camera once purchased (football, basketball, nature, etc.) and see what the difference might be shooting at 3X versus 7X. In many cases - extra zoom can make a big difference on getting a great picture. Since you are looking at 5Mpixels this may not always matter since you may often have enough resolution to crop before printing - but you should definitely fully explore the zoom difference in practice (if you haven't already done so) before making a decision.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 7:10 PM   #14

RAW files are always better than the JPG, but the speed of the camera will be less than if shooting JPG.

I don't know how big the buffer is in the A1, 828 or 300D, but a big buffer is necessary if you want to take consecutive shots in RAW mode.

On my D7, I can only take one RAW photo and then I must wait about 25 seconds before I can take another picture. Needless to say I don't use RAW with the D7.

By contrast, the buffer on my S2 can hold 7 RAW images, which means I can shoot 7 RAW images in rapid succession (until the buffer fills), but then I must wait for at least one image to be written to CF (only a few seconds on the S2). I shoot RAW exclusively with the S2.

Both the A1 and the 828 have 28-200mm (35mm equivalent) zoom lenses. Most manufacturers (Tokina, Tamron, Sigma) make such a lens for Canon cameras. Even Nikon makes a 28-200. Not sure if Canon has one. So you would not automatically cut yourself off from a lens similar to what the A1 and 828 have.

You could buy the 300D body only and a 28-200 lens.

However, the greater the zoom (7x, 10x, 12x etc) the more difficult it is to take sharp pictures without a tripod. Long focal lengths are VERY difficult to hand hold and get good results.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 7:10 PM   #15

RAW files are always better than the JPG, but the speed of the camera will be less than if shooting JPG.

I don't know how big the buffer is in the A1, 828 or 300D, but a big buffer is necessary if you want to take consecutive shots in RAW mode.

On my D7, I can only take one RAW photo and then I must wait about 25 seconds before I can take another picture. Needless to say I don't use RAW with the D7.

By contrast, the buffer on my S2 can hold 7 RAW images, which means I can shoot 7 RAW images in rapid succession (until the buffer fills), but then I must wait for at least one image to be written to CF (only a few seconds on the S2). I shoot RAW exclusively with the S2.

Both the A1 and the 828 have 28-200mm (35mm equivalent) zoom lenses. Most manufacturers (Tokina, Tamron, Sigma) make such a lens for Canon cameras. Even Nikon makes a 28-200. Not sure if Canon has one. So you would not automatically cut yourself off from a lens similar to what the A1 and 828 have.

You could buy the 300D body only and a 28-200 lens.

However, the greater the zoom (7x, 10x, 12x etc) the more difficult it is to take sharp pictures without a tripod. Long focal lengths are VERY difficult to hand hold and get good results.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 1:19 PM   #16
csd

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingthailand

This is where the A1's antishake feature comes in handy. I've taken some pretty sharp pictures at 7x with anti-shake enabled.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 6:13 PM   #17

I went through the same things and finally settled on the Minolta A1.

Yes, there will be less noise on the Canon due to its bigger CCD. This will happen at higher ISO levels...however I've taken shots at ISO 100 and printed through Photoshop at 13x19 with no visible noise to the naked eye.

It's about the TOTAL package for me...
dvoiselle is offline   Reply With Quote