Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 20, 2003, 3:58 PM   #1

Default here i go

I posted this in the newbie help section but no one answered yet and I'm not sure if it's the wrong place to post. So I decided to post in here.

I've narrowed my choices down to 3 camera's. A1, Canon digital Rebel or the soon to be released sony F828.

I have a 1000 to spend on this camera. Which one should I get?
Which one would give me the best image using default settings?
Meaning good sharpness, good colors, good looking pictures.

Thanks
recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2003, 4:01 PM   #2

Default oh yeah

And what i want to use the camera for

65 percent landscape shots
25 percent night shots
10 percent action shots
Old Dec 20, 2003, 4:33 PM   #3
djb

wellllllllllllllllll, i'm an old slr person so, i would get the canon digital rebel. it will give you more versatility in the long run of things with interchangeable lenses and other option equipment. it will also be the more expensive due to needing to buy other lenses. i like the sony 828 and know nothing about the a1.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 8:39 PM   #4

Well, for landscapes, the extra megapixels of the 828 should allow you to resolve some additional detail over lesser CCD's. However, the CCD in the 300D is significantly larger than either the A1 or the 828, and that will translate into MUCH less noise, and probably better color.

The 300D is a larger camera (especially with additional lenses) so lugging it around could be an issue (you decide). The 828 is in the middle, size wise and the A1 the smallest of the three.

As for weight, I think the 828 is right up there close to the 300D. The A1 definately wins for weighing the least.

So we seem to have one vote (MP) for the 828. One vote for the 300D (CCD size for noise and possibly color) and two votes for the A1 (size and weight).

I have a Fuji S2 and am looking at the 828 for those times I don't want to lug the S2 around. I am also looking at the Sony T1. This is a killer little camera (little being the operative word).

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 9:50 PM   #5

Default interesting

I looked at the sony f828 and the eight megapixel really intrigues me but like you said the ccd is much smaller so I would image that a lot more noise would come out of it. And from some of the images that I have seen the F828 looks less sharp and less clear than the Canon. The greatest thing that appeals to me about the A1 is the fact that has image stablization built into it.

How nice looking of a print would a 6 megapixel d-rebel produce?

For regular 4 x 6 prints without retouching I guess either of the 3 would be pretty good

For 5x7 I assume the same

what aobut 11x13 which would look better? F828, Canon d-rebel or the A1?

And bigger than 11x13?

thanks
Recca
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:19 AM   #6
csd

If you want to get the most for your $1000 - I'd go with the A1. If you think you plan on expanding your horizons moving forward - I'd go with the SLR/Rebel.
You can get the A1 for just over $700 then plan on another $100 for a 512MB CF card (unless you have some from a camera you may own today), then you may want to spend a few bucks on a UV-filter, bag and extra battery.
If you buy the Rebel - the $1000 will pretty much get you the camera with one lense - not much cash left for other goodies.
Just my opinion (of course I just bought an A1 myself ).
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 5:01 PM   #7

Life is always complicated and decisions are too. So I tell you what I decided - and believe me, all cameras have pro and cons. At first perhaps on important point: With analog SLR - this was forever. In digital times this is for the next two, might be three years!
So I bought the Minolta A1. Why? I thought over the Canon, the Fuji and the Sony. The Sony I didn't see till now, the Canon is all plastics, the Fuji 7000 too - and I hate plastics especially with cameras.
The Minolta is more or less made from metal and it fits perfectly in my hands. Yes I know, it's said, the Canon and the Fuji produce better images; but....
And the other ones like the new Pentax or the Olympus SLRs are too expensive for me. So for the next two years the Minolta is a good choice - and cheaper SLRs will come in the near future from Minolta, Nikon, Olympus. Be sure.
Helmut
helmut-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:29 AM   #8

Default The a1 is cheaper

The Ai is cheaper and has way more features than the sony or the canon. And I really really like the A1 because of that. But I'm also not very good with Photoshop or image restoration/ manipulation techniques. I would eventually learn but like all things, you have to take baby steps. So having a good image coming out of a digi cam would be excellent.

I know that you probably won't get (almost) noise free pics from anything other than a Dslr so I would expect some noise from the A1

How good is the quality of pics & what are the noise level like on the A1 at default setting for outdoor shots? Indoors shoots?

Thanks

I
Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:16 AM   #9

Hi,
the minolta is always said to have a higher noise level than the canon or the fuji. Go to http://www.dcresource.com, see the pictures and decide. Or, if you have time, wait some months. Minolta, Nikon and Olympus will present new cheaper DSLRs like the Canon.
Helmut
helmut-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 7:40 AM   #10

For prints 8x10 and larger, the 300D will be the camera to beat. For smaller prints, all will be about equal.

I guess one of the big questions is, what will you use the camera for. Will you want to carry it with you all the time, just some of the time, or will most of your work be in a studio setting?

The 300D will definately be the bigger pain of the three to carry around. But again, what will you be shooting? Fast action? Definately the 300D here. The other two will be MUCH slower to respond in a fast breaking situitation than the 300D.

Versatility. The 300D wins big time here. Lots of lenses to choose from. With the other two, you have no choice, you are stuck with the 28 - 200 focal lengths. Add on lenses for the A1 and 828? Not so good. Nothing wider that works, and addon teles just compromise the quality of the original lens.

With the 300D, just choose the focal length you need and mount it on the camera. Of course, you have to spring for the cash (sometimes big cash) for the additional 300D lenses, but they are good quality.

But, if you want something smaller and lighter than the 300D to take with you almost everywhere, then the A1 is probably your best choice.

Of course, if you really want the take everywhere camera that is small and light, look at the Sony T1, is a 5MP pocketcam.

One final point. Any accessories, especially lenses that you buy for the 300D will be useable on the camera you buy after the 300D (assuming, of course, that you stick with Canon dSLR's).

Just food for thought. Hope it helps.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote