Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 10, 2002, 11:21 AM   #1

Default format microdrive

I need help formatting my 1gb Microdrive.
I contacted IBM their website told me the the drive must have afat16 file system. Since the file system on my Windows 98ME is Fat32, I can't do as normal format.
Their website lead me to believe that the
Windows format options givesd the user the option to choose between fat 16 or 32. this is not the case. does any one have any ideas???
robert  Hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:35 PM   #2

Always format in the camera. Formatting in the computer can make the microdrive unusable in the camera.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 6:00 PM   #3

jim- with all due respect- you are wrong.

also there was win 98, win98se, and win Me(millenium Edition) no such thing as 98me. see below

1-Windows 98 with card reader writer file sys fat32
the installed driver for the reader/writer should have installed a secondary formatting util for that drive when plugged in. the zio has it
i have removed the util and formatted using the win format util it also created a fat16 format on the card. when in doubt stick with the one that came with the card.

2-Windows me- supports reader/writers as mass storage devices and has native support for them. i do not personally use or have used it. but it is closer to wn2k. so i believe you have a choice of file systems to format to in thru win built in util. fat or fat32. use fat of course. Me was not one of their shining moments

3-win2k use the standard format util built in to the os. depending on the size of the card you will have a choice of fat, fat32, ntfs(drop down menu). choose fat and it formats fine and it works fine

4-winxp- same as win2k but it may not show ntfs option(drop down menu). again choose fat not fat32 and your on your way.

if you mess up and format it wrong as douglas adams said in hitchhikers guide to the galaxy- DON"T PANIC. just reformat the drive to the proper filesystem FAT. all is good.
formatting the drive in windows wil not destroy it or render inop if done properly.

all methods were tried and work without a problem. get to know your OS better

now if you have a ac adaper and want you can format it in the camera. i don't have a ac adapter and i don't waste the batteries.

[Edited on 8-10-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 7:40 PM   #4

Default thanks

well that did it. the info post here lead me to search for the util. to fromat the Microdrive. In five minutes the problem was resolved.
robert  Hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 9:04 PM   #5

your welcome and have a nice day.

i was getting a little tired of this formatting issue. a whole unwarrented fear was being generated over absolutely nothing but a misunderstanding.

[Edited on 8-11-2002 by sjms]
Old Aug 11, 2002, 8:59 AM   #6
NHL

The best way is not to format @ all (it comes pre-formatted from the factory, and even says so in the manual). If used this way, the camera counter shows 500 frames which is slighly more accurate... After formatting from the camera (or PC) the D7 now only estimates 420 frames (550+ shots actual @ 2560x1920 lowest jpeg compression) for an empty microdrive.

I've verified this on two microdrives...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:52 AM   #7

of course if the disk currupts you can