Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:40 AM   #1

Default Z1 - Operation Question

What is the difference in "Auto" and "P" mode on the dial? Since they are both preset, unchangeable settings, what is the difference?
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:11 AM   #2

If it is like the A1, the only difference is in the "Auto" mode if you change the dial from "Auto" to anything else, when you put it back to "Auto" it goes back to defaulted modes. For example, if you change something silly and can't remember what you did, moving the dial from "Auto" and back to it again will undo what you did and restore defaults. The "P" never resets changes you made unless you reset the camera. In my opinion, use "Auto" until you beome proficient with the camera, then switch to using "P", because of the customization allowed. Hope this helps.
dvoiselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 2:15 PM   #3

Side 45 of Instruction Manual.

The difference between "Auto" and "P", "A", "S" and "M" is what You can change or not on menu setup. It means what You can choose self.
On "Auto" are almost settings decided by manufacture.
Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 9:47 PM   #4

Default There are many differences.

Well, AUTO mode is Fully Automatic, however, in P mode, only final exposition is automatic, you can control other settings. So, here is list of setting, that you can control in P mode, but cant in AUTO mode:

- Mattering mode (in auto - fixed on multisegment)
- Sensitivity (in auto - fixed on auto sensitivity)
- Focus (in auto - fixed on auto focus)
- Color mode (in auto - fixed on natural)
- White Balance (in auto - fixed on auto)

So, as you see, in AUTO everything depends on camera, however, in P, there are many things you can change.

Dont you read user manual?
Bye, Kevin.
kevinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:28 PM   #5

Yes, I read the manual but I thought it would be fun to see if anyone could answer the question.....

Sorry. Yes, I did read the manual, and have read through parts of it multiple times, but I am just starting to understand everything I am reading. I didn't (and still don't) understand why the camera behaves differently in P and Auto mode, even though all of the settings in P mode are set to match the settings in Auto mode.
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote