Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 26, 2003, 7:31 PM   #1

Default Z1 - Focus Lock Problems

Just trying to learn this thing.... My test subject is a bottle cap laying in the den floor. Lighting is by a ceiling fan with 4 60w bulbs, flash is on auto.

With camera in "Auto" mode, I am able to get a focus lock from pretty much any zoom.

With camera in "P" mode, I can't get a focus lock with anything closer than about 1/2 zoom.

This is based on the assumption that a white dot near lower right corner is focus lock - red dot is unable to focus lock.
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:53 AM   #2

Are you taking a macro photo from a few inches away? Or are you taking a non-macro photo from several feet away ?
jimross1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 6:31 PM   #3

non-macro - probably 8 to 10 feet away.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:35 PM   #4

I will try with my Z1 to duplicate your environment. In the meantime, a few questions.

q1: what do you see on the focus icon? do you get the focus locked icon (white do) or do you get the cannot focus (red dot)?

q2: It is possible in P,A,S mode to set the focus off of auto-focus. Do you have the MF (manual focus) icon lit?

q3: If you take the picture (in P mode) does it come out clear, or not clear).

q4: what if you try during the day. Do you get a focus lock? (i am just trying to isolate what/where the issue is).

jim
Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:45 PM   #5

rctoyguy,

I just took some pictures with similar conditions. I was able to get a focus lock, and take a good picture, with both Auto and with P.
I first tried with my Minolta 2500D flash, and it all worked just fine. I then tried with the built in flash, and it also worked. I switched back and forth from Auto to P, and continued to get a focus lock and the picture took.

q: What did you see for shutter speed and aperature in both cases when you tried in Auto mode, and P mode?

What do you have the flash set for ? Is the flash set for Auto (the lightning bolt followed by the word AUTO) ?
Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:55 PM   #6

I just reread your note, that flash is set to auto. Ii shouldn't have asked that question since you already provided that information. How about your Aperature and Shutter speeds. What do they list as in your viewfinder?

thanks
Old Dec 28, 2003, 8:03 PM   #7

I don't know... I will try to reproduce this and make a note of all the settings to post back.