Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:02 AM   #1

Default Comments on 7hi's EVF

I'm looking at the 7hi, but no one locally sells it. I'm concerned about the EVF and the corner focus/viewing problem. Some of the many reviews I have read mention the corners of the image are hard to see, you have to move your eye around the "peep hole" to view the whole image.

I really wanted a optical VF, but see most everything over a 4x lens isn't. I come from a video world with 10 and 20 lb camers/camcorders and never used a SLR before, but know the importance of the VF. I'm just use to a 1 1/2" B&W VF with a rubber eyecup that covered the whole eye. Now I wear glasses which makes it tougher to see the image.

Any input?? Thanks.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:55 AM   #2

The problem you mention is common to all cameras, even the optical viewfinder of most SLR's, when you wear glasses (as I do).

On the dSLR's that are not full frame CCD, the image area is smaller than the FF viewfinder and easily viewable with glasses.

But another option is to remove your glasses and adjust the builtin diopter adjustment present on most cameras, including the D7, for a clear image. This is an effective fix for the problem.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:19 AM   #3

I understand it is a problem with most cameras, BUT according the the reviews it is much worse than most!!

This EVF is suppose to be better than the 7i and the orginal 7, but still has problems, but since I can't see one I'm asking.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:47 AM   #4

I did manage to find a dealer that sells the camera (for $1200 no less) and I found what/where the problem is with the EVF that I can't beleive no one else has mentioned or noticed.

The lens for the diopter adjustment is too small a diameter. If it was about 2mm larger the problem with the corners of the CCD screen within the VF wouldn't be there. The corners aren't out of focus, they are being partially blocked with the housing of the VF where it meets the round 'peephole' lens!! The same can be done by sticking your finger or another object up to your eye. Next to the edge of the object will appear out of focus or darker because of it partly blocking the view. There is a gradual drop off of light that passes the edge of that object. I'm sure there is a technical term for that, I just don't know what it is called.

Bottom line I can't beleive Minolta hasn't corrected it by the 3rd version of this camera. Too bad, that was what I was looking for!

BTW, it isn't as bad without glasses, but is still there. And as far as the 'noise' problem, when you print the pics out even on a 8x10 glossy paper at the best settings it isn't noticeable even under a magnifing glass!
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:19 AM   #5

Any more input on the EVF and LCD display? I have also found the LCD display's brightness to vary considably when tilting it up and down. Much more than other displays I have seen.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 12:52 PM   #6
csd

Out of curiosity - why are you looking at the 7hi instead of the newer A1 ?
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 5:36 PM   #7

1. Price...............$100 more than the 7hi!!
2. Propritary battery
Old Jan 9, 2004, 5:59 PM   #8
csd

1. Price - fair enough - you can get the 7hi for less money. I don't know if $100 cheaper though (I know that's the list price difference - be sure you are comparing the discounted prices of where-ever you are shopping).
2. Battery - the proprietary battery bothered me at first too. Especially since I had 12 NiMH AAA recharge-ables from my last camera. But the A1's battery is awesome - dpreview did some tests and got over 5 hours on it with the LCD ON. The 7Hi under the same test lasted 2 hours and 33 minutes with 4 AAAs. (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/mino...ea1/page11.asp)

Just to be sure you don't take me wrong (its always tough with forums/email/etc) - I'm not questioning your decision, its just that I recently bought the A1 and had looked at the 7hi and wanted to make sure you traversed all the data I did. 7hi is great too.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote