Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 29, 2003, 5:09 PM   #1

Default A1 - rotate portrait orientation imagaes?

I bought an A1 just before Thanksgiving - great camera! However...

My son bought a Canon Powershot S400 earlier this year - apples and oranges to compare them, but, he has one feature that I really liked, and if it's on the A1, I'd like to know how to enable it.

His S400 has a sensor that senses when you have the camera turned to portrait orientation and rotates the image. Does the A1 have this feature? If so, how do I enable it?

Thanks!
Optiker
Optiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2003, 8:12 AM   #2

To the best of my knowledge, the A1 does not have that feature.

I agree, great feature, and I think in the not too distant future it will become a standard feature on all but the lowest end digicams.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 9:56 AM   #3

no its not on my A1 nor is it on my Canon EOS 1Ds. nice to have but you can do it on your computer. not something that would be a real selling point to me.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:37 AM   #4

Default Thanks!

Thanks for verifying that the A1 doesn't do this. Too bad - I probably shoot more in portrait orientation than landscape.

Yes, I can rotate on my computer. I normally use IrfanView for simple operations, but if I rotate with IView, I need to re-save, so there is some added deterioration of the image if I go back to JPEG - I've found the Fine JPEG adequate for most shots, and shift to Extra Fine when I don't anticipate needing the card space. I can save to PNG (my lossless preference) but the process is fairly slow. Also, I haven't figured out yet what I can do with the raw image and what I can't do and still keep all of the metadata. I prefer to keep everything in an archival file, but would like to rotate first.

I have tried a freeware app Called Rotate JPG that just rotates JPEGs. It claims to just alter data in the header, so doesn't affect anything elwe. As far as I can tell, it doesn't alter anything else, but it is relatively slow. I also have installed and tried Exifer and find it faster, but am not yet fully confident that it's the best solution - though it's handy to edit EXIF data when needed. I haven't used the Minbolta software other than to try it as it seems very slow also.vl/n

I'm open to suggestions on rotating, but would prefer to not have to re-save, even if I can keep the original date as IrfanView lets you.

Thanks...Optiker
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:42 AM   #5

what do you think happens in the camera? it rotates the image via internal software. is that lossless?

i shoot RAW 90% of the time

i use PS CS for all my work.

i never save a rotated work as an original. originals are never changed.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:00 AM   #6

SJMS...Ah, you've hit one of my buttons! Of course, rotating, or anything else that changes ANYTHING renders the file other than original, "raw" or whatever else we want to call it. If you imbed a signature, it's no longer original, but wise if your images are copyrighted. If you alter a single pixel, it's no longer original. You might say that even the RAW format image is not original in that it's a representation of the number of electronic charges collected in each detector of the camera's CCD, which in turn has already been altered by the transfer function of everything between the subject and the detectors...ad infinitum!!!!

I'm going to rant for a bit, not that I want to be critical of you or your standards - which are obviousoly high - but to encourage those who read this forum that there's pleasure and satisfaction - and even great worth - in lower standards.

We each have personal standards driven by what we find fulfilling. In the realm of my "home" photography, mine aren't as high as yours. There's a place in the world for purists, but I'm not one of them. Just as in flytying and flyfishing, I'm not a purist, but adjust to the level that gives me the most satisfaction balanced against my investment of time, money, effort and emotional energy. When you reference your "work", that's perhaps a tip that your photography is at a higher standard than mine. My home photography isn't work - I'm not a professional photographer in the normal sense.

Incidentally, my work is as an optical and digital imaging scientist. When I do my work, originals are archived in original form, in lossless formats, and I go to great effort to preserve them in that state. These are typically images from scientific grade digital cameras - visible, infrared, ultrasonic, etc. Most recently - last week in fact - I received a new camera. It's an "inexpensive" one for routine general purpose work, most immediately on a Leica microscope. It's a Canon EOS 1Ds - "inexpensive" is relative. In contrast to the previous camera purchase at $65,000, the 1Ds was inexpensive at about $6,000.

Bottom line...my standard for my "work" is far higher than my standard for recreational/creative photography at home. But, a New Year's toast to all who find fulfillment in photography, and worth in their images - regardless of their standards!
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:52 AM   #7

Just changed from the Canon S50 to the A1. The portrait mode only seemed to do two things:-

turn the image the right way up in review mode,;
provide info for the onboard processing so the sky became darker, bit like a grad filter.

Paul
Paul L UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:03 AM   #8

gee what impressive gear you play with :lol:.

now you're worried about losses in image quality on rotation, yet you shoot in a lossy format. that makes lots of sense. in order to maintain the image you have to start with the closest thing to a whole image

my standard for work or play is about the same- high, when it makes sense :lol:
Old Jan 17, 2004, 8:11 AM   #9

Just as an additional comment on this rotation in camera thing-
if I understand it correctly, the image is not actually rotated in the camera, merely flagged as being in portrait orientation at the time the photo was taken.

The image viewing software that comes with the camera looks for the flag and displays the images rotated. I am not even sure that it even rotates and saves them, just displays them rotated.

Such a sensor would not be too difficult to implement in digital cameras at all levels, and as long as the flag is standardized (we can always hope), then all image software can look for the flag and display accordingly.

For the image software that you use, if you rotate your JPG images using lossless rotation, then there will be no loss in image quality. Of course, if you make any changes to the image before rotating, then you will not be able to save losslessly.

Look for lossless JPG rotation in your software. Most packages should do that today.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingthailand
Look for lossless JPG rotation in your software. Most packages should do that today.

Declan
IrfanView has a "JPEG Lossless Transformations" plugin. If installed, it can be found under the OPTIONS dropdown menu, or using the Shift + J keyboard shortcut. It includes flips and rotations, plus optimization, etc.