Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 1, 2004, 6:19 PM   #11

By the way, I got serious with my first SLR camera around 1974, so don't be impatient with yourself. It takes time to get used to this stuff!

It was a good observation on your part that you have to be careful about the camera focusing on the wrong subject. Now you know about it and can be aware of it. I haven't played with the Z1 enough to know if there's anything that can be set to help this out, but I don't think so.

I'd be happy to look at a couple of your pics, but I have a slow dialup connection (live in the boonies), so I won't be able to look at more than 2 or 3.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 8:40 PM   #12

Default Blues

OK, you have been doing it awhile. I don't feel like a total idiot.
If you feel like it, I would like for you to look at a couple of pics. I have some uploaded on the dotphoto.com website. Just go there and type in user name "darlene_babygirl" and password "ditzy". Let me know how it works. I know what you mean about the boonies and dial-up. We finally got dsl out here and I was soooo happy!!
darlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 10:48 PM   #13

Overall, they look like pretty good pictures. Of course, it looks like that web site doesn't show them at full resolution, so I may not be able to see what you're seeing. But for the most part, the primary subject (or at least one player) is in focus. On a couple of them, the ball or an arm is moving (e.g. amanda1), so you have to expect that fuzziness unless you were able to use an extremely fast shutter speed (e.g. 1/1000, and then you wouldn't have enough light). In 'stfredsam' it appears the camera focused on player #30, whereas you probably wanted the two players under the basket. The only way to solve that is to zoom in on them (or at least center them in the shot) so the camera will focus there. And even then, it looks like they're moving fast enough that you'd still get blur from the action, unless, again, you can use a very fast shutter speed.

But overall, I'm impressed with the quality of pictures taken in a difficult environment with a consumer point-and-click camera. This ain't no multi-thousand dollar Hasselblad large format film camera.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:26 AM   #14

Default Thanks again for your input!

I looked at the pics on the website and they are pretty much like I see them on my computer so you are seeing it.....
Anyway I printed all you've said in the previous posts and I will try some different things Tuesday (next game). One thing in most of these pics is that I didn't have the flash on. I will use it. Our home gym will be harder to get good pics as we have that kind of orangy cast to the pics there (different lighting).
Did you think I was having a focusing prob or could you tell by the pics? Or do you think I'm expecting too much?
At any rate I will try some different things that you mentioned and see how it goes.
Thanks a bunch for all your help!!
Darlene
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:31 AM   #15

Default Oh Blues, another question

I forgot to ask this one. When you talked about what zoom I was using - I had no idea. Got out the camera and still can't see how you tell. Is there somewhere on the screen where it tells you where you are.........2X or 6X, etc??
Old Jan 2, 2004, 2:12 PM   #16

With the zoom, you'll just have to guess -- were you zoomed in about 1/3 of the way, which would be 3x, or half way, which would be 5x, etc. My guess in looking at them is that you were probably around 3x for a lot of them, but closer on a couple and farther on a couple.

Another thing you can try is playing with the ISO speed. Set for one of the manual modes (P, A, or S), go to the menu, and set the ISO speed. The fastest you can get is 400, but I've read from the reviews that you might get "noisy" pictures (lots of trash) with that. So you can also try manually setting 200, tho I think that's what it will usually pick if you're using flash. Anyway, that will allow both faster shutter speed and smaller aperture.

Mostly, I think the pictures are very good, with a couple of small problems I mentioned before. If you had a 35mm or 6x7 film camera with ISO 1600 film and a large zoom lens, you could get better pictures. But you'd have to spend big bucks, and you'd be missing the advantages of digital.

Don't expect your pictures to compete with professional sports photographers, 'cause that's what they're using. But you can get pretty close, and I think you're almost there.

(As far as the orange cast for your gym, that can be compensated for with the white balance in the menu. But I've never played with that setting, so I can't help much. And if you set it properly for pictures without flash, you'd need to change it if you then used flash).
Old Jan 2, 2004, 2:49 PM   #17

Default Blues

Thanks a bunch. You've helped greatly, given me a lot of info (I'll need to study it tho to remember it all and practice, practice!) and also a little much-needed confidence to tackle this project!!
Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!
Darlene
Old Jan 2, 2004, 4:34 PM   #18

You're welcome. Good luck.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 6:46 PM   #19

I also have a Z1 and I find that sometimes with autofocus the wrong subject is selected.

One way to overcome this problem is to hold down the centre circular button (in the middle of the 4 switches) and then select the autofocus point to be in the centre of the shot.

This means for every shot, the area targeted by the autofocus will be dead-centre with no tendency to move to the right or left.

Naturally this makes it slightly more difficult to get focus, especially in low-light!!!

So I guess you need to compromise!
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote