Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 31, 2003, 2:11 PM   #1

Default Dimage Z1 Questions (oh I'm betting you're all tired of this

Hey, I have a few slightly different questions about the DiMage Z1 than most people, so I figured this was the best forum to ask it in, so here they go:

1) My main concern is the 640x480 movie mode. I know that if I want a real movie mode I should go with a digital video camera, but I don't need a real digital video camera, I just want something that I can take a few minutes worth of decent video with. I have a toshiba PDR-m71 and I like the movie mode, it's just not real great quality, and I just want something I can do a bit more with because I ocasionally (when inspired) make some stupid videos and edit them with Adobe Premiere, and i've found that the movie mode on digital camera's work quite well because Its easy to hook up and transfer, and I don't need great quality.

so basically I'm just wondering if anyone has any major comments about the movie mode, because I've seen about 3 sample movies and i'm VERY impressed with it, and I didn't know if anyone had any other samples they could show me.

2) I'm really liking the 10x optical zoom, thats another reason I want this over my M71. I don't need a lot of zoom, but 3x is just too limiting for me, and I'd like to get closer up if I ever take pictures at say my brothers basketball games, or other sporting events.

3) Image Quality. I don't really need a great image quality, but I would liek them to be decent pictures, and I dont need more than the current 3MP I have, but I just want stuff thats more detailed and vivid, and my m71 is just getting a bit old (although still works great), and I tire of old technology fast.

So based on these would you say the z1 is a good decision, and if so or not please explain why.
Trav2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2004, 6:43 PM   #2

Hi..
The movie mode is generally good, there are two issues that you need to be aware of..

1. 640*480/30fps - sometimes the audio and video lose sync.. you can use some processing software to correct, but its a pain.. image quality is excellent..
2. The camera is always auto focusing, and the autofocus noise can be heard as a clicking noise.. if there is some bacground noise, its OK, but if you are in a quiet room, its quite intusive..

I've compared the movie mode on the Nikon 3700 and fuji F700, the nikkon is exactly the same as the Z1, autofocus noises, and sync issues.. the F700 was good, but unfortunately it appears to fix the focus, so no noises, but moving close to objects is a problem, as they are then out of focus..

the best allrounder is the Fuji S602.. its 6X zoom, excellent video, with none of the above issues, and is a damn fine camera, unfortunately its hard to find one for sale, as they are being discontinued, and they are more expensive...

All in all I can live with the Z1's movie foibles, perhaps a firmware upgrade will allow the autofocus to be locked.. and the sync issue fixed..
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:17 AM   #3

Why would you (or anyone) but a still camera for taking videos??????

Would you buy a camcorder for takeing stills??
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:28 AM   #4

Ther'is just one reason. I don't need a videocamera but sometime I like shoot a short sequence and I don't need to take always two cameras with me.

So easy is it!
Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 2:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adwulf
Ther'is just one reason. I don't need a videocamera but sometime I like shoot a short sequence and I don't need to take always two cameras with me.

So easy is it!
Yes, exactly.

And i've said, I do some minor video editing and short video clips like this are EXACTLY what I need (even though I need the pictures more).

So this type of movie mode is perfect for me.

A full fledged camcorder for me is OVERKILL!
Trav2003 is offline   Reply With Quote