Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 1, 2004, 5:55 PM   #1

Default Z1 bad indoor Pitcures

Hi!

I have had my Minolta Dimage Z1 for about 4 months, and i have big trubble shooting indoor pictures. I get the feeling it might be a firmware issue with the auto focus or something? (I am not a photo or camera expert in anyway)

Outdoor the camera works very good i allways get perfect photos on "Auto" mode. But the camera have big problem focusing indoor. Does everyone have the same problem as me?
errno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2004, 6:04 PM   #2

Yep, I only had my Z1 for about 2 weeks (sent it back to the vendor due to dead pixels, another problem, and haven't gotten it back yet). But I noticed when taking indoor shots at Christmas that it had a lot of problems focusing indoors.

If you have time to set up your shot, try depressing the shutter button 1/2 way. If the camera achieves focus, it will show you what it focused on with a red square. If it didn't, it will show a red dot at the bottom of the view finder.

I tried this, and indoors it failed to focus 1/2 the time. But I set it up for continuous focus in the menu, and the resulting pictures were OK (not great) even when the AF failed.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 5:01 AM   #3

When Z1 is in focus it will show a WHITE dot otherwise RED. When is red You can't get a focused picture. Page 22 on "Instruction Manual".

Indoor I can get shaked pictures because of me but almost never unfocused.
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 6:45 AM   #4

I found similar problems with the S414 using indoor flash. If you are well within the 2-3 metre flash range and there is something strong and white the AF seems to lock and subjects will probably be at that distance. The problem is, until the pre-flash has fired the camera doesn't always know where the correct focus is and afterwards you can't tell where the focus point was and if it's right unless on a pc. Focus lock leds are fine for daylight, but what you need is a red spot on the post view image to show you where the focus point was, after the flash has fired.

So I'm coming round to using manual focus more. At wide angle there's lots of DOF, less batt power is consumed (on the pre-flash), the camera is faster and mostly I can estimate from a couple of metres. The Only snag is DOF shrinks when zoom is used - but then so does sensitivity for inbuilt flash. I guess the Z1 has got manual distance readout on the lcd as well and this is useful.

Am I right or wrong to not trust AF for indoor built in flash shots when it's quite dark? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:04 PM   #5

To voxmagna.
I don't understand what You mean with "pre-flash". Z1 has not a pre-flash just red-eyes and this will not help with focusing.
As wrote before, Z1 has a "continuos autofocus". Camera is always searching. If You press shutter-button halfway You get a white dot if camera is focused otherwise is red.
All cameras without AF-lamp help is difficult to focus. You can help with some kind of light or as, You say, with manual focus or DOF.
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 1:04 PM   #6

Default Firmware upgrade?

Is it possible that a issue like this could be improved from a firmware upgrade from Minolta?

Have anyone seen a firmware upgrade for the Z1?
errno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 7:17 PM   #7

As I haven't got the Z1, I don't want to confuse the thread through ignorance because I thought my comment might be more general, However, if you are in a dark environment, using internal flash whatever focus the camera is hunting, where you have foreground, mid range and distant objects, can you be sure focus was locked to the subject say mid range, and not a spurious foreground object which could be brighter and closer to the focust assist lamp?

I've always felt focus is the most important function to work correctly since there's no point paying for all the Mpix if the camera won't focus the scene. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote