Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 12, 2002, 1:43 PM   #1

Default Got to shoot a wedding, is the D7 up to the task

Well, here's where the rubber hits the road. I've been asked to shoot a wedding and the bride is a photojournalist. Yikes, I better be on my toes. It actually came about when my own fiancee suggested bartering work and shooting each other's weddings. This should work out well as we're both trying to keep wedding budgets at sub-NASA levels.

I think I'm equipped enough to do it. The wedding with be at the couple's house and she's asked for less formal, more candid shots, more photojournalism style in her words. Okay, got my Dimage 7, ordered the firmware upgrade, have a 1gb microdrive, a big Metz potato masher flash - 45CL4 - and boatload of NiMH batteries and two chargers. She doesn't want monster prints so I think the D7 will be fine for up to 11x14.

Of course I'll have backup and both of have Nikon 35mm equipment so that works out well. She actually shoots a D1H for work and while the speed would be nice I think the resolution would be a bit lower than I want. In any event not a wise idea to shoot a critical job with a camera I'm not familiar with so if I need backup I'll use my F2 and F3 bodies instead of her personal F4. She didn't think they's want any formal portraits or big enlargements but I think I'll bring along a friend's 6x7 Mamiya press camera and a few rolls of Ektachrome for special shots.

So what wisdom can you all enlighten me with? Any major items I've overlooked?
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2002, 2:08 PM   #2
NHL

... I went over 2G at one of my in-law wedding. Granted it was both at the church and the reception with no time in between... and over the West coast.

At some of the newer receptions, the guests are rewarded with their pictures of the wedding as they leave...

[Edited on 8-12-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 6:07 PM   #3

This will all be at the couple's house, ceremony and reception, and only forty guests so I think 1gb will be sufficient. Interesting thought to provide prints at the reception.
Old Aug 12, 2002, 6:16 PM   #4
NHL

@ 40 guests, that's about 20 pictures (per couple) with the newer printers HP Photosmart, and especially the Epson 785EPX with PIM. You can get pretty much instant results with pretty good color accuracy to the delight of the guests and the newlyweds ... Memories last forever!

No PC required...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 2:56 PM   #5

Default Wedding Shooting

I shot my sister's wedding and my high school reunion recently. I posted both on the web the day after. That way people who weren't able to attend could view the photos and download/print. My sis posted the photos at one of the photo printing webisites enabling anyone to order hard copies.
stevecohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 4:26 PM   #6

After getting the firmware upgrade and crafting an external battery I'm much more confident. The speed in autofocus is a godsend and with the RC car battery I can go on safari and not have to change packs. Will still keep film cameras in reserve just in case.