Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 6, 2004, 4:01 AM   #1

Default A1 EVF and Digital tele

Hi everybody

I'm planning to buy an A1. I have 2 questions :
1/ Do you often use the EVF, or the LCD display to point ?
2/ There are not add-on lenses for the A1. So, if you want more tele, you have to use the digital zoom feature (wich is not a very good thing for resolution, I know). My question is : if I use full tele + 1.5 digital zoom (wich is equivalent to 300 mm), can I consider that it is as if I used a 3 or 4 megapixel camera with a 300 mm equivalent ?
Thanks for your answers. Excuse-me if I'm not clear : I'm french.
Happy new year evrybody.
André
andrbar.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:28 AM   #2

I have the D7, not the A1. I use the EVF exclusively. The LCD uses too much power.

As for addon lenses. You could use, I think, a tele addon lens. It would vignette at the wide setting, but should work okay at the tele end of your zoom. Might want to give it a try before resorting to digital zoom. Perhaps others can also chime in on how well this will work.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:13 PM   #3

Thank you Declan

I don't think I can use an add-on lens, since there is no add-on lens designed for this camera. Also, if such a lens did exist, I think it will be hazardous to screw it directly on the camera's zoom : that's the only way to fix it.
Thanks to the image stabilizer, I think the A1 is very capable to deliver sharp images with a long tele. That's why I would like to get a focal distance of about 300 mm.
André
Old Jan 6, 2004, 3:51 PM   #4
csd

ADD ON LENSE APPLICATION FOR A1:
See this post for an example:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...7&highlight=a1

LCD VERSUS EVF QUESTION:
I use the LCD most of the time on my A1 - primarily because I wear glasses which makes it easier than the EVF. If you look at the battery test on dpreview you'll see the battery on this camera is superior in comparison to most digicams so battery drain is not as much as a concern as with some other cameras (the Nikon 5700, for instance, has less than HALF the battery life of the Minolta with the same independent tests).

TELEPHOTO QUESTION:
Not sure why you would use the digital zoom. I believe you can get the same result with software - I have always stayed away from digital zoom on digicams because I have never liked the results. But then again - for most of what I have done with this camera 7X optical has been sufficient (AND I LOVE THE CCD-SHIFT ANTI-SHAKE FEATURE!).
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 3:59 PM   #5
csd

Check the bottom of this page for the battery testing result I mentioned in the previous post (just went and double checked my facts):
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/mino...ea1/page11.asp

They got over 5 hours of shooting with/without flash with the A1 ALL WITH THE LCD ON. So if you have been afraid to use the LCD in the past due to battery drain - you can be a little less afraid with this camera. The Nikon 5700 was 2 hours 8 minutes, the D7 (someone mentioned above) was only 1 hour 14 minutes.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 6:07 PM   #6

Default Re: A1 EVF and Digital tele

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrbar.fr
Hi everybody

I'm planning to buy an A1. I have 2 questions :
1/ Do you often use the EVF, or the LCD display to point ?
2/ There are not add-on lenses for the A1. So, if you want more tele, you have to use the digital zoom feature (wich is not a very good thing for resolution, I know). My question is : if I use full tele + 1.5 digital zoom (wich is equivalent to 300 mm), can I consider that it is as if I used a 3 or 4 megapixel camera with a 300 mm equivalent ?
Thanks for your answers. Excuse-me if I'm not clear : I'm french.
Happy new year evrybody.
André
Hello Andre,

There is one good add-on lens that works with A1 even though it's not made by Minolta. I have a Olympus A-200. It deliver's 300mm that you are looking for. Not too heavy either. Problem is finding one. Olympus has stopped the production. I got mine for only 50 euros and considered that to be a bargain. Advice, forget about the digital zoom. You could do that on the computer as well and if you want good quality then the optical zoom is the way to go.

Jussi
Jussi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 4:58 PM   #7

Thank you very much for your answers.
Thanks to the links you mentionned, I've seen that it is possible to add the Olympus TCON 17 to the A1 lens, and I guess the results should be great (340 mm + Image Stabilizer : wow!!!).

I think the A1 is the best value for money at the moment (even in France, where, as you know, prices are much more expensive than in the USA).
Aloha !
André