Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 7, 2004, 6:53 PM   #1

Default hot shoe adapter for standard flash on minolta DC

This adapter will allow you to use standard flash POTENTIALLY (YES POTENTIALLY) on your D7xx, A1, Z1. The working principle is simple, it connect your flash to the rear 2 pins on your hot-shoe on DC. When these 2 pins are short, the flash is trigered . It also has a pc sync port, something like the pct-100 from minolta but at a much cheaper cost. However, this adapter DOES NOT have a CIRCUIT ISOLATION between the flash and DC. so make sure your flash is up to STANDARD, ie LOW VOLTAGE, eg 5v. It works well in MANUAL mode or in APERTURE PRIORITY mode for flash with (thyristor) auto light sensor. It is best for standard flash with manual ouput. pictures of the adapter and sample shots can be found here.
http://www.pbase.com/nickfan/flash_a...d_sample_shots

compatibility (and technical) issues............
The adapter definitely works on some standard flashes but NOT ALL. eg, when I tried the vivitar 2800 flash, the flash failed to fire. The power indicator blinked once but no fire. I think D7xx trigger the minolta flashes (supported models) by shorting the pins for a very very short period of time. Because this period is very short, it may not be long enough to trigger some standard flashes depending on their sensitivity. That's it. I can't guarantee it works for you (or more correctly, your flash is compatible with D7xx). And I am not going to be a lier!.
For A1 and D7hi users:
Further testing shows that the vivitar 2800 flash can be triggered through the pc sync port on my D7Hi when it is connected by appropriate wire. suggesting that the pc sync port is more "standardized". So my adapter can be used as a mechanical mount for your standard flash. If your flash has a PC sync cord, it is simple. Just use it. If you don't, you can buy a PC cord and connect to my adapter at one end and to the pc sync port at the other end. You can also buy (if there is one) PC sync cord with both ends the same, ie, both end can be connected to pc sync port. remember there is a pc port on my adapter. So this adapter DEFINITELY works for all standard flash SUPPORTED by the built-in pc sync port on the camera.

other uses
it can be a starting material for your DIY flash accessories, eg a off-camera cable. The adapter has 2 pins, you can add other 2 pins without much difficulty. so you make one end of off-camera cable easily. You can use the "stand" that comes with 3600 and 5600 (for mounting during wireless flash) to make the other end. it is not very difficult to put 4 pins on the stand and connect to them a cable. I planned to do this but did not find a time. you can use cable from dead keyboard or mouse as the off camera cable.
one more use. you can use it to make a swivel adapter for your 2500 or 3600. so now you have almost a half of the swivel adapter done. and the other half will not be very difficult.
I made one before I got this adapter

nick
my email: [email protected]
nickfanmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2004, 6:59 PM   #2

Default standard hot shoe adapter for D7Hi and A1

standard hot shoe adapter for D7Hi and A1
To serve you better, I have modified the flash adapter to allow you to use ANY standard flash (with voltage below 400v, from minolta D7Hi faq). So you can use cheap standard flash on D7Hi and A1 now.

What you need is just connect the pc sync cord to the pc sync port on the camera and mount your flash on the adapter. To prevent possible interference between the pc sync port and the hot shoe on the camera, the standard hot shoe is NOT in contact with the minolta hot shoe now. For people who have D7(i) and a compatible flash, they have to connect the pc sync cord to the pc sync port on the adapter in order to use the standard flash.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 7:44 PM   #3

lets not use the forum for advertising, it is aginst the rules
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:39 PM   #4

sorry, I spent several minutes looking for the rules but find no one about posting an "ad".
BTW, in your eye, my post is just an ad? you need better vision then. It is the whole technical issue about using a standard flash on Minolta DC.

nick
Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:39 PM   #5
csd

Yeah - I agree with bradq - this doesn't seem right.

So does anyone know of any non-black-market (US-FCC compliant) products on the market that do this given I don't want to buy home-made from overseas?

I have looked at Minolta flashes for my A1 - they are expensive.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:46 PM   #6

I wish I could delete my my post.
The admistrator please delete my post.
I was so stupid to put up such a post, telling people info about using a standard flash in general.
The info is true for any adapter.
the adapter is not home-made altough I would be very proud if I can make any one of this quality at home.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:51 PM   #7

Quote:
So does anyone know of any non-black-market (US-FCC compliant) products on the market

minolta sells one for about $40.
there is no need for being "US-FCC compliant" as there is no electronic parts there, just all mechanical contact.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:00 PM   #8
csd

Thanks. I really didn't realize minolta sold such a thing (they only talk about being able to use Minolta flashes in the A1 manual - never mention the adapter) - I'm fairly new to this hobby so didn't realize such a thing existed.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:08 PM   #9

there is no need to delete this post, but if you want, you can just click on the little "X" in the right hand corner of your post, that will delete it

OR if i where you, i would just edit out the "ad" part by clicking "edit"

ps- don't feel stupid
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks. I really didn't realize minolta sold such a thing (they only talk about being able to use Minolta flashes in the A1 manual - never mention the adapter) - I'm fairly new to this hobby so didn't realize such a thing existed.
if you buy the minolta adapter, it is similar to my original adapter. and it is not the best solution. read the compatibility issue in my post. not all flashes are compatible with your DC.

Since A1 has a pc sync port, it is best to use it. you can use the minolta adapter as a mechanical mount if your flash has a pc sync cord (more expensive) but there is possible interference between the pc sync port and the hot shoe on the camera- they are linked together by the adapter, and no one knows what would happen. Then you need to remove the contact between the flash adapter and minolta hot shoe.
ok, if your flash does not have a pc sync cord, my modified adapter will work for you. it works for ALL flash on earth with trigger voltage below 400v!
man please understand I posted up an "ad" for your own sake.