Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 12, 2002, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Question on D7I Manual Focus

I just recived my new 7i and have been studying the manual. I set the camera to the manual focus mode and try to use the 4x magnification to manually focus. Sometimes the magnification works and sometimes it doesn't? I Have the camera set for electronic magnification under the recording menu. Is there a sequence or somthing that I am missing or is my camera possibly bad?

Thanks

Dave
msgtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2002, 11:04 PM   #2
NHL

The 4x only works in manual focus... If you go back to AF the4x switch is disabled...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 1:47 AM   #3

If the camera is operating in low light the 4x magnification won't work. Why it doesn't I don't know but it does say so in the manual as well.

Some other quirks:

1) In movie mode if you have sound enabled the focus is set at the beginning of the movie and can't be changed! This makes the movie feature rather useless imho.

2) The focus distance reverts to default (50cm or infinity) when a memory is recalled that has manual focus enabled. It would save me SO much time if it saved the focus distance I have when I store the memory.

3) There is no way to annotate sound to a picture after its saved, you have to annotate immediately after taking it. Another glaring omission from the Minolta engineers.

I'm not trashing the camera as I have one and use it daily! I just wish they'd thought about the features a little more... All these problems are software and not hardware related, maybe we can get a firmware fix?

[Edited on 8-13-2002 by DrSmile]
DrSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 7:03 AM   #4
NHL

In my opinion the camera is already magnifying the noise in B/W, so doing a 4x would just make the EVF see more 'snow' rather than help, or there's some inherent limitation in the CCD that they use (the D5 using a different CCD doesn't even have this feature...)

I agree with you on #2, it would be so much more convenient... but I think with the DMF now available on my D7, I won't need to save the manual focus as much. Actually just thinking about it (just upgraded last night) it actually faster for me now to just spin the focus ring directly than select the menu, move the cursor over, drop down to select one of the memories, and hitting menu again! It definetly a move in the right direction for the next firmware though...
Old Aug 13, 2002, 6:27 PM   #5

With the 7i You just hit a button and select the memory. My problem is I take my macros at 26cm which is close to the minimum distance focus setting for the camera, and since it defaults to the MAX distance I have to turn the ring a lot every time I choose that memory.

It just upsets me that they didn't think about things like that,
Old Aug 13, 2002, 8:12 PM   #6
NHL

Yea, it's Minolta 2nd baby step into digital so they still have a lot to catch up. But think about it on another camera, you'll have to push a button and wait for the buz, buz, buz which is painfully less rapid than on the D7(i).

Actually the focus ring is speed sensitive, so if you give it a quicker spin, you don't have to turn the ring as much...(not too fast or it'll miss-register). I'm sure with any new SW development they'll probably include this new feature in the API and port it to the next camera (or upgrade) with ease.

BTW why did you pick the D7? I thought you would go for a dSLR which is more suitable for your macro work...(and the focus ring will be mechanically fixed)
Old Aug 13, 2002, 10:16 PM   #7

Because I like a challenge

I actually have been shooting with 2 brand new cameras, the 7i and the Fuji S1, I bought the S1 for my work department...

For macro orthodontic work the S1 can't be beat (ok maybe the S2 would), shooting at F32 yields better results than the 35mm slides I was printing. BUT the camera is big, heavy, expensive, and I don't trust it to hold up to long term abuse. The 7i is great for speed and it's more versatile for other things. I'm still evaluating them and I will have a comparison up soon.

[Edited on 8-14-2002 by DrSmile]