Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 9, 2004, 5:55 PM   #11

Default Thanks all for your good help -

And the reason I didn't go to a store to hear for myself is that the nearest store that has one is 120 miles away (in Spokane) - I live on the WA-ID border in a town of 40,000 which is the most isolated town of this size I have ever heard of - we are 120 miles to the nearest city and 95 miles from an Interstate. (and me from NYC!) - So anyhow thanks, all.
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:02 PM   #12

I shoot dance and theater performances with the A1. With audience members about 5 feet away in a quiet theater they can't hear the camera.
browntimdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:22 AM   #13

To compare: Distance 10 cm: Contax G 1 only shutter 56 dB, Contax SLR only shutter 61 dB, Minolta A1 51 dB, old Pentax Spotmatic II 61 dB. So you can compare; 2 - 3 dB doubles the noise.
Regards Helmut
helmut-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:04 AM   #14

If you're really that worried about too much noise, just cut holes in a padded camera bag for the lens and lcd or viewfinder. That'll bring the dB's down a bit!

I'm sure it can't be long before digicams have downloadable shutter tones like phones - for those that like flaunting expensive brands. Imagine hearing the Star Spangled banner everytime the shutter is pressed or your own patriotic shutter tune. In fact, why not trigger the tune at the start of the shot to get everybody laughing and avoid the stilted group smiles? 'Hey I've got this new digicam and it came with a random joke playlist' sort of thing. If somebody wants to start up a website, I'll post .WAV files from my Fuji 602, recorded in an isotropic enclosure at the specified distance using the most expensive B&K equipment! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 4:53 PM   #15

The soft click of a shutter bothers you? Perhaps you could invest in a set of ear plugs. The A1 is an excellent camera, and I personally like to hear the shutter click, it mimicks a film camera in that respect.
Buckeye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 5:31 AM   #16

Perhaps the camera will be used for some clandestine photo shoot, where the subject mustn't hear it! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote