Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:28 AM   #1

Default A1 shutter noise - how loud ?

I understand the Minolta A1 uses a mechanical shutter. Can a user of the A1 tell me how loud the shutter noise is in the range of 1/10 to 1/60 ?

I realize it is hard to quantify noise verbally but you might say "no noise" or "a mild click" or "just as loud as a DSLR" - or however you would characterize the noise.

Thank you very much.
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2004, 11:52 AM   #2

It should be an electronic shutter. So the noise adjustment is up to you. I prefer a soft noise like an SLR with winder. But it's possible to have it noiseless.
Regards Helmut
helmut-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 2:37 PM   #3
csd

Yes - its electronic.
You can turn it off, or set it to low or high (and as I recall also medium). I find it loud enough under more circumstances on low but have shut it off when in quiet places.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 4:58 PM   #4
NHL

Look through the lens... there's actually a mechanical shutter!

Most Interline CCDs require the light to be blocked while data are being shifted out...
It's also used for the dark frame substraction (with NR 'on') in long exposure... ie try the camera on 4s shutter or something! 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 6:02 PM   #5
csd

Okay - so now I've tried it with the electronic shutter volume turned off - and yes - you can hear it mechanically. I guess I never noticed (have to get my hearing checked).
If you want the shutter to be louder - you can turn up the electronic volume.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:56 PM   #6

Default How interesting - nobody answered the question...

It is mechanical, yes (but I needed to know how loud)> But if you can hear it at all I will pass on the camera. I was hoping it was virtually noiseless.

I want to replace my Canon Pro90 IS (10x optical zoom, stabilized)- BUT one of the things I most like about digicams is the option of complete silence - you can take informal pix of people without the "oh, goody, my picture is being taken" expreession.

I have a Canon 10D with stabilized coverage from 45 to 480 mm (35mmEQV) but want a camera like my Pro90 for carry-all-the-time- with 4, 5 or more megapixels (the Pro90 has 2.6), PLUS stabilization - plus a flexible live LCD, plus the option of silence.

I had hopes for the Panasonic FZ10 but it is not usable in low light and is VERY noisy. Of course the Sonys (717 and 828) are not stabilized, and the Minolta has (at least SOME) shutter noise.

Looks like I will have to wait and see if one of Canon's 22 digicams due out in 2004 is an adequate replacement for the Pro90.
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 7:55 AM   #7

Why not head to a store and listen to it yourself?
Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:18 PM   #8
csd

Default Re: How interesting - nobody answered the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble
But if you can hear it at all I will pass on the camera
You can hear it. Can't really say how loud - kind of an objective opinion. I never noticed it until you asked (probably 'cause I had the electronic shutter sound turned on which overshadowed it). Its definitely much quieter than my SLR and if there is noise/conversation in a room the shutter probably won't be heard but it may sound loud to you. The best you can do is to find a store near you that carries it and give it a try.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:36 PM   #9
NHL

Quote:
But if you can hear it at all I will pass on the camera. I was hoping it was virtually noiseless.
...You can feel it more than you can hear it!

The mechanical shutter sounds about the same level as the autofocus mechanism albeit @ different pitch and measure about 55-58dB (C-Weighted, 1m away) on a sound meter! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:44 PM   #10
csd

Sorry - I didn't have a sound meter handy :lol: