Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:44 PM   #1

Default A1 Err5 (downloading pix from camera to PC)

I shot the very first bunch of pictures to test my new A1 and to become acquainted with it. I then followed the manual instructions for downloading from the camera to the PC using the USB connection:

1) Win 2k Pro PC on and booted
2) A1 off but with card inside
3) USB cable connected
4) turn camera on

The camea LCD comes on and displays a message saying it is establishing the USB connection and then turns off (just as the manual states) but. . . .

The top data panel display shows what looks like Err5 or Ern5 (the top bar of the E is missing.

The PC recognizes the camera, and I copied all of the image files without a hitch.

I shot some more pictures and repeated the above steps and the same strange err5 showed up as before.

This A1 has firmware 1.02u update installed by the dealer.

Has anyone else seen this ? Should I be concerned (since otherwise the download appears to be successful)?

I'm just a tad nervous and apprehensive about my new toy.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2
csd

I see this too - but I think it is "trn5". I saw an error on the camera once (fixed by the new firmware) and actually saw the word "ERROR" so don't think this is short for error. I guess we could try sending a query to their web support - I'll do this.
Perhaps "trn" is their abbreviation for "transfer" and "5" indicates the speed of the transfer. Just out of curiosity - do you know if your PC supports USB 1.0 (1.5 Mbps), 1.1 (12Mbps transfer rate) or 2.0 (480Mbps transfer rate)? Maybe we can decode this without them.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:42 PM   #3

csd-
Thanks for the reply. Hmmm trn[x]; now that you've said it [written it], I'm sure that's exactly what I see. I'll bet you're right about it meaning 'transfer' [speed]. My PC is supposed to support USB 1.1. I had the camera connected via a 4 port hub, but at the time that I was doing the download, there were no other active devices on the hub so I think that I should have beed getting the maximum available bandwidth.

I already sent an email to Minolta support asking the Err5 message. I'll post their response when it comes.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:14 PM   #4

I see the same on mine. Win 98SE, not sure what version of USB, but probably early, and don't recall what the number was - haven't seen any prob, so have ignored it. I'll be interested in what you find out though. Next time I fire it up, will check and see what it says.

Thanks for bringing it up.
Optiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 4:01 PM   #5

I received a return email from Minolta on my Err5 question. The email directed me to call Minolta Support Center, which I did.

The person I talked to said that the data panel display is saying [trying to say] "transfer". The crude letters formed by the seven segment display are trnS [note the letter S as oppose the number 5]. So csd had it pegged, but the connection speed is not part of the message.

The support person also admitted that this display is cryptic and confusing to many people and that Minolta was remiss in not making mention of this behavior in the A1 manual.

Bottom line:
This is normal, expected behavior.

<sigh of relief!>
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:00 AM   #6
csd

jawz - thanks for letting us all know!
If they put this in their manual - they would have avoided some unnecessary calls.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 5:15 PM   #7
LVM

I just got an Minolta Konica A2 and have been trying to get it to download. I get the same "Errn5" or whatever it is, but the computer does not recognize or see the camera at all. I have tried all the Minolta suggestions:

direct connect to the computer and not through a USB hub.

Attached to the USB port and then turned on the camera

Turned on the camera and then connected to the USB port

Nothing seems to work to get the computer (using Win XP Pro) to see the camera. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
LVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 7:38 PM   #8
Administrator

Are you sure the computer is not seeing the camera? Check under "My Computer" and see if it shows up as a removable drive there when it's plugged into a USB port.

If so, you should be able to copy the images from the folders on the card. You can also customize what Windows does with the images (use Camera Wizard, etc.)based on settings specific to the device.

Let us know if it shows up under My Computer or not as a first step.

If Windows is not seeing the camera (it's not showing up as a removable drive), then it could be related to USB drivers.

One solution seems to be removing all USB related hardware and drivers from Device Manager. Then, reboot and let Windows find and reinstall everything again.

Kalypso found that simply updating drivers worked for a printer problem he had:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=41894&forum_id=788

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote