Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:06 AM   #1

Default Kingston/toshiba ??

Hi.
I just ordered minolta g500.Now i want to buy 256mb sd card.Because of (http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...ity/DiMAGEG500)
i want to buy Toshiba or Panasonic, but i heard that kingstone manufactures for toshiba and there are no differences between this cards(except for casing, warranty(kingstone 5 years) and price).
What do You think about it?Does anyone have experience with kingstone?
aik
aiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:35 AM   #2

Default Kingston is good !

I don't know where you from. I am living in HK and the band Kingston is quite famous in HK ! I did now using Kingston Double high speed CF card and it works fine ! I don't know too much on SD card but I believe that it should be OK ! The best action, of course getting back the Panasonic SD card as I know that Panasonic SD is the best !
gapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 2:53 PM   #3
Administrator

I think you'll find that there are probably only 3 "real" manufacturers of Secure Digital.. the 3 companies that jointly developed SD (Toshiba, Panasonic, and Sandisk).

Others are probably using rebranded components. Unfortunately, I know of no sure way to verify which components another manufacturer is using. For example: I've heard that Simpletech's Standard SD in 256mb and 512mb sizes are Panasonic, but I have no way to verify it for sure (although Simpletech's specs do indicate a sustained read and write speed of 10mb/second for their 256mb and 512mb SD, which matches up to Panasonic's specs).

So, you're "rolling the dice", unless Kingston will answer the question for you, and confirm they are using either Toshiba or Panasonic components in their Secure Digital in 256mb size, or only Panasonic components in 512mb size (since ONLY Panasonic SD is considered compatible in 512mb size).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:39 PM   #4

@gapman well im from germany i know kingston only from very good PC's memmory
I send only an email to one of e-shops and they told me that kingstone manufactures for toshiba (http://www.alta-discount.de/index.ht...ehlung1569.htm)
i dont know what should i think about it because the difference between prices are about 20eur (1eur~1$) and between panasonic and kingstone about 30-40.
Are there big differences in praxis betwen panasonic and toshiba?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:53 PM   #5
Administrator

I have no way of verifying the accuracy of this post, but one poster indicates that Kingston is using Toshiba for it's Secure Digital:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6455498

BTW, I do know of multiple users that have found the newer "Lexar High Speed 32x Secure Digital" cards work fine. I also know of users that say the Simpletech SD in 256mb size works fine in their G500.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:30 AM   #6

well,
answer from kingston :
"thank you very much for your e-mail and your interest in our products.
It actually varies but at the moment it is mainly Toshiba.
We hope this information is useful for you.
Kind regards
Nathalie Tübel"

hmmm so i think i'll try kingstone
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:26 AM   #7

Default Don't buy the Toshiba SD card !

I still don't know too much about Kingston SD card, but never buy the Toshiba SD card ! It's speed is really really slow ! I suggest you either buy the Scandisk or Panasonic ! Again I prefer Panasonic !
gapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 2:01 PM   #8
Administrator

Default Re: Don't buy the Toshiba SD card !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapman
I still don't know too much about Kingston SD card, but never buy the Toshiba SD card ! It's speed is really really slow ! I suggest you either buy the Scandisk or Panasonic ! Again I prefer Panasonic !
In 256mb size, avoid the standard Sandisk Secure Digital Cards. They are your worst choice, and may cause a variety of problems include file corruption, camera errors, slow startup times, failures to format, etc.

Sandisk Standard Secure Digital Cards in 256mb size are NOT considered to be compatible in the G500 by Konica-Minolta, and are MUCH slower than Toshiba cards in this size.

Panasonic is the best choice in Secure Digital, as their 256mb cards are around 5 times as fast as Sandisk's standard cards in 256mb size. However, Toshiba's cards will work fine (as tested by Konica-Minolta). Sandisk standard Secure Digital cards are NOT considered to be compatible by Konica-Minolta in sizes over 128mb.

See the compatibility chart here (and see note 8 ):

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...ity/DiMAGEG500

Also, the problems with this Sandisk card do not seem to be limited to the G500. I have seen users of other camera models (HP 850, Canon SD100) also reporting problems with Sandisk 256mb Secure Digital (with one users getting memory errors from two different Sandisk 256mb SD cards tried in the Canon).

I have seen NO reports of problems (errors, file corruption) from either Toshiba or Panasonic Cards in 256mb size from any camera model user.

BTW, most Secure Digital Cards are relatively slow in sizes of 128mb or smaller. However, Toshiba and Panasonic's cards become faster in 256mb size. Panasonics are the best, since theirs are rated at 10mb/second in both 256mb and 512mb size.

But, you should avoid Sandisk Standard Secure Digital in 256mb size, based on user reports that I've seen, as well as testing by Konica-Minolta showing problems with their SD in this size, too.