Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:51 AM   #1

Default A1 RAW vs JPG resolution

100% crops from center, ISO100, f5.6, normal sharpness and contrast:
JPGRAW
browntimdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:26 AM   #2

Can just make out the increased resolution of the RAW image. I doubt you would see the difference in a normal sized print though.
Thoraldus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:35 AM   #3

Take a look at the EXIF data for your JPEG version. Likely you applied a different sharpening than you did with the RAW conversion.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 5:32 PM   #4

Yes Bill, It's often forgotten, even when comparing pics to buy a camera, that most digicams will produce a generic 'soft' pic off the ccd until they can process higher frequencies and push up the anti alias filter response. So the only real test is to compare RAW between cameras if they have it and 'look through' the softness to make a judgement, before adjusting the aperture correction - or rather unsharp mask in todays jargon! This confusion is not unreasonable when you consider cam manufactures label a sharpness setting 'soft', when they really mean 'this is what comes out of the camera before we artificially sharpen it using 'normal' or 'hard' settings.

Most so called subjective sharpness comparisons of pics done on a 800X600 displayed image in a browser window will be just a matter of what type and how much sharpness and contour correction was applied afterwards and how well it mapped to the monitor size, graphic card scaling and dot spacing of the tube. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:41 AM   #5

Browntimdc,
How were you able to attach those photos to this forum?

-Ed
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 2:38 PM   #6

To Thoraldus: To my eyes there is no resolution advantage with RAW in real world photos, contrary to what others claim.

To BillDrew: I made sure that sharpness was set to "normal" in both cases.

To Mr. Ed: I simply included a link to the photos in my post. Unfortunately, that webspace is about to expire.
browntimdc is offline   Reply With Quote