Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:32 AM   #1

Default Airport Security Precautions

Want to get my Minolta D7i safely thru airport security without damaging anything. Do cameras go thru x-ray or what's the procedure to get thru without upsetting security? I once heard you simply have to take a picture to prove the camera isn't a weapon,
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:50 AM   #2

i work at EWR (newark intl NJ) i have past my camera through security many times with my laptop and cf cards no problems as of this time.

i don't suggest an arguement unless you want to miss your flight or deal with the hassle of a more probing examination of your bags. no one has a sense of humor there anymore.

[Edited on 8-14-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:54 AM   #3

Thats not the biggest danger. If you are going to really be using cam, security up...but do not forget "lost Baggage" probally still the same.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 3:48 PM   #4

It can vary a lot. I've flown only four times since 9/11 and to my suprise not once has my carry on bag required a hand search despite containing two digicams, a laptop and a mobile phone. You may be required to demonstrtrate the device works, I've had to do that with phones and pagers before 9/11, so make sure everything has enough battery power to turn on.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 5:00 PM   #5

Thanks all, the camera is in it's own padded case just big enough for camera & 2 sets of batteries. It can be operated, if requested.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 5:02 PM   #6

Default Don't take a picture!

DO NOT take a picture unless they tell you to. They may ask you to turn it on, that does not mean take a photo. They can get very upset from people taking photos in that area, they think you are scoping it out for future terrorism.

I don't have a Minolta (yet), but my nikon and CF cards have been through x-ray several times. No trouble. They have been through 18 airport checkpoints since may, without a hickup.

Since Sept 11, some airports ask you remove all electronics from your carry on, and send them through x-ray on seperate tray. This doesn't harm anything. Failure to comply may lead to full body cavity searches... and other unpleasantness. YMMV.
NoWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 5:15 PM   #7

Default Photos (not!)

I know about that part. I'll just be cool & cooperate.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 5:18 PM   #8

Default Body searches (yuk)

Seen those except the 'cavity ones' Thanks for all the useful input folks! Hope to get some nice shots around El Paso & Los Cruces if I have time.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 8:26 PM   #9

They seem to have changed the way laptops and other electronics are checked out. I used to have to turn on my laptop and Palm Pilot to prove they work. Lately I have traveled twice between Louisville KY and San Jose CA. Both times I was not required to turn anything on. I sent my laptop, digicam, and Palm Pilot through the x-ray with no problems. They did take the laptop and swab it to check for explosive residue (I think). They did that now and again anyway in the past.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:10 PM   #10

The X-Ray machines used for carry on luggage are not strong enough to damage cameras, CF cards, or computers. But if you have a lot of equipment in one bag they might become confused enough to do a hand inspection.

Actually, travelling overseas (SE Asia) is a lot more pleasant than travelling in the USA. Here no one has a sence of humor anymore, and no one is pleasant or smiles.

Another point, don't rush to be the first person on the plane. They usually grab the first few people to do an 'additional' security check of carry on's. Once the checkers are busy, they let everyone else just wander on unmollested.

I even watched them grab an old guy in a wheel chair once and frisk him, including taking off his shoes. He was preboarding, by the way!! I think he probably ended up boarding just about last, as a result.

[Edited on 8-16-2002 by amazingthailand]
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote