Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:10 AM   #1

Default Printing problem w/ 7hi

The images from a 7hi come out looking like 8 bit image on the printer.
On screen they look fine. They are saved as 2560 extra fine in the sRGB space.
I looked under properties and they show as a regular jpeg.
It was my understanding that this camera DOESN'T need that Q Image software since Minolta went back to the standard sRGB color space.
The program I use (Thumbs Plus) and have been using for years works with any other image I have printed, same goes for the printer (HP 932). Only these pics come out very grainy!
The other digiutal camera I have (a cheap 1.3MP point and shoot) looks fine (1024x768) and the film scanner (HP S20) comes out fine.

Again all with the same program and printer AND printer settings!

Any ideas??

Win 2k w/sp4 if that matters.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:46 PM   #2

I have a D7i and have printed from my HP 930 before I got my Canon S9000. The prints looked great. I converted most to Adobe RGB in Photoshop but some were printed from sRGB. Adobe RGB just gives slighter richer colors for printing.

My guess is that something is happening in Thumbs Plus or the transfer. Install Irfanview if you don’t already have it (freeware www.irfanview.com ). Open an image in Irfanview directly from the card. Crop and print it from Irfanview. My guess is that the print will be good.

After you install Irfanview go View>Display Options and set “Fit image to window” It makes a better viewer that way IMO.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:30 PM   #3

I don't know thumbsplus, but I would suggest a program like Qimage. Painless printing.

I have a D7 and get great prints from either Photoshop or Qimage.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 3:26 PM   #4

I also have IrFan View and got the same results!

What I did try was changing a setting I have NEVER touched; 2400x1200/PhotoREt.
Changing it to 2400x1200 improved the image. Thing is I have NEVER touched that control when I printed any other photo and that isn't the default when I change paper types to a 'photo' paper.

I'm at a loss here...........
Old Jan 24, 2004, 3:53 PM   #5

REt is 1200 X 1200 I think and it is really hard to tell the difference between that and 2400 X 1200. REt mixes dots to get good color and coverage at lower resolution so it doesn’t take so long to spool.

Once you select best quality and premium photo paper you have a choice of REt or 2400 X 1200. Either setting will give good prints. I have printed the same photo with both settings and there isn’t much difference. 2400 X 1200 uses a little more ink and takes a lot longer to spool.

I have no idea why you got such poor prints in REt. Have you installed the latest driver? http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search...&lang=en&cc=us
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 5:16 PM   #6

Yeah, something must be messed up in your printer settings, or even the print driver itself.

Try uninstalling the printer, then reinstall from scratch and see if that restores things.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:49 PM   #7

I did another couple of test prints with my other puter (running 2k) and I get the same results.
That's 2 different boxes with the same O/S.

There is a BIG difference between the 2 settings!! Yes it does take alot longer with 2400x1200!

Anyway, it's not the camera.....................wrong forum.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 2:32 PM   #8

It turned out to be the printer cartridge!!

WTF!