Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:17 AM   #1

Default 7hi viewfinder blanking out durning exposure

Why does the VF on the 7hi go blank (black) durning a exposure?
I was told by Minolta that it behaves as a 35mm SLR camera does. Having never owned a 'real' 35mm camera before (I use to do video production) I wouldn't know this.

Is this the same with other digital cameras?

Also I shot a sunset and the verticle smear was very apparent in the VF. I took that shot anyway just as a test shot.
To my amazement when I viewed the image there was no smear what so ever!
Anyone explain this why it was apparent in the VF and not on the final image? Do they use 2 image sensors one for the VF and another for the image taking, or is it the way the CCD is scanned durning the exposure that reduces/elimates the smear?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 5:51 AM   #2

I'm not familiar with this camera but in a film SLR the image blanks out because the mirror that reflects the light up into the viewfinder flips up out of the light path to allow the film to be exposed.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:40 AM   #3
NHL

Quote:
Why does the VF on the 7hi go blank (black) durning a exposure?
... I wouldn't say it goes blank, but rather it blinks simulating the effect of an SLR like the other poster has explained (it can also simulated a shutter sound). Not all digital cameras do this but most will freeze the frame that was taken as a feed back to the user which the 7Hi can do as well in its programmable instant replay.

Quote:
Also I shot a sunset and the verticle smear was very apparent in the VF. I took that shot anyway just as a test shot. To my amazement when I viewed the image there was no smear what so ever!
... The EVF has an Auto Gain Control (AGC) adjusting the brightness of the EVF so that it remains relatively constant to the photographer eye. This circuit clips when it is overdriven on bright subject against high contrast dark background.

You can avoid the camera's AGC by switching the EVF to its manual mode, ie What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) by pressing simultaneously the 'select' and the 'i+' buttons. As you increase the shutter speed and/or decrease the aperture in this mode the camera simulates exactly what it's going to store to the memory (with no smear). This behaviour is just like a manual SLR in the stop-down mode, ie you control the exposure brightness through the aperture (or shutter)! 8) 8) 8)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 3:21 PM   #4

Nice pic.................

Mine goes 'blank' or black during a exposure. Especially noticeable with timed exposures as in at night! At the 'normal' shtter speeds it does 'blink', but when you have a 2 through 10 second exposure it is BLACK! You have no idea what is going on!

What "select button" are you refering to?
Old Jan 24, 2004, 4:02 PM   #5
NHL

Quote:
Mine goes 'blank' or black during a exposure. Especially noticeable with timed exposures as in at night! At the 'normal' shtter speeds it does 'blink', but when you have a 2 through 10 second exposure it is BLACK! You have no idea what is going on!
When you take a picture over 2s, the camera actually takes two shots: 1 at regular exposure, and a 2nd one with an equal amount of exposure time, but with the mechanical shutter close so the camera can subtract this dark frame from the original long exposure... This is normal and why you see black, and is performed to remove the noise from the original picture (and also why you can't go past 30s shutter speed)! At faster shutter you should not see this dark frame.

The select button is in the middle of the P/S/A/V/M selection wheel... The 'i+' and 'select' buttons combination allows one to overide the EVF when the camera is on manual! 8)
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:15 AM   #6

I did find that 'trick' after you mentioned it in the manual. Thanks.

I do understand the 'second' exposure to cancel out the noise, but the black duration is the whole time, not the 2nd exposure.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:14 PM   #7
NHL

Quote:
I do understand the 'second' exposure to cancel out the noise, but the black duration is the whole time, not the 2nd exposure.
... You'll find that most interline CCDs require the shutter to be close while the data are being shifted out... kind of hard to dispaly anything in real-time if the shutter is closed hey (ie the 1st shot as well)?
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:13 AM   #8

A friend has a Fuji S5000 and the display doesn't blank out. It will freeze while the camera is adjusting the exposure BEFORE actually clicking the shutter, but it doesn't blank out.

I remember reading a user review on the camera (there are many) and the guy returned the camera because of this reason stating "Minolta you surely screwed up this time" (or close to that)!