Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:49 PM   #11

I do not know much about the Fuji camera, but I am a S414 owner. So far for the 1 month I have owned it, I have mainly been a point-and-shoot user, and am dying to learn even more to become a manual user of the camera.
As an automatic camera, it takes some good pictures. However, I find that sometimes the flash can "wash out" the subjects in in-door shots. I have been learning to play with the exposure compensation to control the amount of light that illuminates the subject to prevent the picture from looking washed out. You may find that in order to get that "ideal" shot, you will need to veer away from auto and into some manual controls.
A question for VOX: you've been very helpful to me so far. What settings do you find best when taking indoor shots? I know in my last forum question you said do not use Full Auto Flash, but I am not getting any better results choosing Tungsten or Flourescent white balance.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 12:00 PM   #12

Default Is Minolta S414 better or Fiju S5000?

Mr. Ed wrote:

"What settings do you find best when taking indoor shots? I know in my last forum question you said do not use Full Auto Flash, but I am not getting any better results choosing Tungsten or Flourescent white balance."

I have had my S414 for a month, too, and have found that when taking indoor shots without flash, the Flourescent white balance works well with that type of lighting. So does the Tungsten setting with incandescent bulbs. If this isn't cutting it for you, try manually setting a white balance using a white sheet of paper. The manual has good directions on how to do this.

For indoor shots WITH flash, I've had good results using the Daylight white balance setting. Good luck - hope you enjoy your S414 as much as I am enjoying mine. It does seem to work best when you take it off Auto.

Dave
stolperia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 6:57 PM   #13

...........A question for VOX: you've been very helpful to me so far. What settings do you find best when taking indoor shots? I know in my last forum question you said do not use Full Auto Flash, but I am not getting any better results choosing Tungsten or Flourescent white balance...........

Sorry I didn't spot your post earlier. Stolperia has given you some ideas. First off the small flash, combined with the f3.5(?) lens makes the camera a little bit slow, but you do get good depth of field to use manual fixed focus on wide angle shots. The flash in common with most compacts is puny. If you don't want white balance problems, as I've said before, set to DAYLIGHT white balance, get close and no further away than about 3 metres. If you've got daylight coming through windows then you can use the auto flash mode and your flash will add to the existing daylight. If you've got tungsten either set tungsten WB and turn off the flash, or set Daylight, use the internal flash BUT increase the shutter speed and open the aperture to max.

Fast shutter will not reduce the amount of flash light but will kill most of the tungsten which can cause balance and exposure probs. The clever photographer might allow a small amount of tungsten through for a more natural looking pic. A curious thing I found was that if I changed the exposure compensation setting I could get a bit more light from the flash (???)
The other thing I do is shoot flash at no less than ISO200. I'm afraid unless you are very close, you do nead this sensitivity.

Start simple, use manual focus and take some flash pics outside in total darkness, shooting at objects regularly spaced. Try both DAYLIGHT and the auto mode. Since you have no other light in the pic, you will be able to judge the range of the flash and how the colour looks, and whilst trying different ISO's - how much noise you get. This isn't terribly scientific - it's a sort of 'black hole' flash test! In the real shooting world, light coloured walls can bounce the light around and are very helpful to help small flashes go further.

I'll make a guess as to why Minolta may have used a strange white bal setting for the auto flash fill function. They must have said 'what lighting condition do we think the camera flash will be used in mostly'? Because the camera lacks some sensitivity, if they balance towards tungsten then shooting in a room lit by tungsten might give some extra sensitivity. From the tests I did when I first got the camera, their flash balance was much warmer than I liked and pics in full daylight get ruined with auto flash fill - unless you preset to daylight WB. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote