Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 31, 2004, 9:25 PM   #1

Default Trouble focusing close with a dimage 5

I have had my dimage 5 for a few weeks and its my first prosumer type camera.I had an olympus d130.I have started to get comfortable with the menu and i really like the camera but i have trouble with pictures for ebay that are taken close up.The autofocus starts focusing in but most of the time locks out of focus when i half depress the button.It seems like it focuses better in lower light than in direct bright light right under a flourescent.I have 2 of these cameras and they both do it so it has to be something im doing wrong or have set wrong.can anyone help me out.thanx for any help
dufrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:51 PM   #2

do you have the macro switch on the lens barrel set to macro, if it is, you should not be able the move the ring
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:46 PM   #3

no i dont really have too much trouble with the macro it works good besides it so powerfule i have a hard time getting far enough away to get a shot.Its when im doing normal close shot like 3 feet away shots that i have trouble and the macro is off for sure.
dufrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:09 PM   #4

Default Dimage 5 Focus

I`ve been shooting with my D5 for over a year.
Focusing is a real pain. On macro mode, I focus manually.
Good luck
agott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:09 PM   #5

Default Dimage 5 Focus

I`ve been shooting with my D5 for over a year.
Focusing is a real pain. On macro mode, I focus manually.
Good luck
agott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:42 AM   #6

Default Macro Focusing

Think I'll try manual focus in Macro, myself. Still want to get closeup lens to add on.
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:09 PM   #7

I got so frustated with the DiMage 5 focusing (or lack therof) that after a year I gave up and gave that piece crap away and bought a Sony dsc-f828 and have never looked back. Too bad because the camera has a lot of positive features. The thing that frustated me even more than the lack of auto focusing was the fact that when you manual focus and you turn off or the camera powers down to save battery power the focus reverts to the minimum focus distance. I could never remember to re focus and you could not tell looking through the viewfinder that the shot was out of focus. I think newer digital cameras hold the manual focus settings between powerups. I know the Sony does. My advice is to take the camera back to the dealer or sell it and get something else, lest you be continually dissappointed of missed or out of focus shots. I remember when there was actually a petition online consisting of hundreds of DiMage 5 owners. complaining of the focusing issues with this camera. Minolta never even bothered to acknowledge the problem which is why I bought a different brand when I replaced the camera, That really pained me because I have owned Minoltas exclusively for over Twenty years but probably never again.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote