Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 16, 2002, 1:34 PM   #1

Default Dimage 7 over exposure

Hi,

Using the Dimage 7 on default auto mode I find it is over exposing quite a bit, what settings should I change to correct this (I am new to photography)

2nd question, is the software and flash upgrade worth it and does anyone know where it can be bought in the UK.

Cheers
Mike
mhesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2002, 1:36 PM   #2

We'd need to know more about the shooting situation as some can fool automatic cameras. Can you give us an example photo? If it's consistent in all situations y ou may just have a defective camera.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 2:16 PM   #3

I have put some pictures here
http://www.logicstatus.com/minolta/
I have dropped the resolution to
800*600 and the quality to medium so
the download speeds should be acceptable.

Cheers
Mike
Old Aug 16, 2002, 3:46 PM   #4

Default Minolta Upgrade

If you e-mail Minolta they will send you an application form. Then you have to send the camera to them for the upgrade. I phoned them up and went in person to get mine done. Easily worth the drive - the camera feels totally different. Images much better in the DVF and rear screen. Lots more features and very easy to navigate round the menus. Considering the D7 has been replaced with the D7i, I think Minolta have done us a great service and at a very good price too!!!
David Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 5:01 PM   #5

pictures in order top to bottom

1-not bad needs color correction

2- hi contrast with sun just off angle in back. fill flash would have fixed most of problem. holding up a white paper directlly in flash view will bounce back and cause issues

3 same as 2 notice long shadows fill flash would cure most of it

4 oops don't know what happened there. i've got a few of those

5 same as 2 and 3

6 same as 2 and 3

7 white paper metered over exposed just like snow.

8 nice white shirt very white with the sun

9 just reshoot that one.

learning when to use a flash is needed
learning to use the spotmeter capability

note a lot of the backround are bright and behind the subjects. lots of contrast

the color is a little weird. did th shots go thru the DIVU for color correction?

now these are just quick evals with out using any other data such as the exif info
you just have to learn to use it.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 5:03 PM   #6

Well, not all the photos seem over exposed. pic06.jpg does and I can see by the reflection in the glass you're shooting with flash. Knowing the exposure settings and flash mode would help there. It looks like the sun is high to the right but there seems to be another strong light source to the left in addition to your camera's flash.

The majority of photos are in direct sunlight and as a result have extremely high contrast. Lots of them are backlit and good examples of where fill flash could help dramatically. High contrast is not the same as over exposure. Digicams have even less dynamic range than color slide film which is less than color negs which is less than B&W negs. Unless you dramatically alter the lighting you can't get it all recorded in the exposure. You'll have to learn a few tricks of the trade to deal with high contrast lighting. In situations like that big diffusers or refletors are impractical so try to intentionally keep faces backlit with no direct sun on them and use fill flash.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 6:06 PM   #7

Mr Crosby,

Thanks for the reply, How much did the upgrade cost and where did you have to take the camera?

As far as the overexposure with the strong sunlight. I had the camera set on standard auto setings. I did not change any settings, I simply tried experimenting with the flash to see what difference it would make. My camera before this was a Pentax SLR which was semi - auto. You simply set the light meter and it did the rest. I bought it in 1984. It seems to take better pictures out the box without me being an expert.

I was just hoping some one could tell what settings one should alter to compensate for the over exposure?

This BTW was shots taken a school I work at, where final year students had just received their results for A levels, and no,
I don't teach photography :-)

Cheers
Mike
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:48 PM   #8

where are you located?

if your in the US the upgrade is available as a cd-rom and it's a do it yourself .

for some strange reason in the UK its a must send in and have minolta do it.

i'm not sure aboyt the rest of europe.

[Edited on 8-17-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:54 PM   #9
NHL

A-levels and O-levels sounds like England to me. Looks like mhesse has to bring/mail it in...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2002, 3:03 PM   #10

Default Minolta UK

You need to go to Minolta UK web site and ask them to E-mail an upgrade request form. Once you have filled it out, send the camera to the address on the form. If you phone them you can go in person at a prearranged day and time convenient to both parties. Minolta are based in Milton Keynes. I understand from other web sites that quite a few people have done the same as me and they are all very happy with the results. However, the new Divu 2.0 CD was not available in the supply chain and will be sent by post later. UK cost is 35 for the camera upgrade, 35 for the Divu software, but if you order them together it's only 60.

All my previous stuff has been Nikon, but after this I'll be sticking with Minolta. I've hardly had the D7 out of my hands since I bought it last year, and now with the upgrade my "other half" is going to have to prise it out of my hands every night before I go to bed! There has been lots of bitching and moaning about Minolta on the web, but they gave us a great camera with superb features, a world standard lens, lots of pixels and now an upgrade at a very, very good price.
David Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote