Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:19 PM   #1

Default A1 image Flicker Problem

Hi all,
I'm sad to report that after a few months I'm having problems with my A1. There is a continuous horizontal flicker in the LCD/EVF which is indeed captured in photos as bands of color change. I found two other problems mentioned here-in - neither of which sounded to be the same symptom (one was a gain in manual focus, and the other sounded like a problem with the Anti-shake). This problem seems to happen no matter what the settings (manual/auto-focus, anti-shake on/off, etc.).
I plan on calling Minolta Service Monday but in the meantime - has anyone seen this problem before?
Any suggestions?
With one of my daughter's birthdays coming up - this couldn't have happened at much worse of a time.....
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2004, 11:42 PM   #2

Default Flicker problem...

I would be interested in finding an answer to this one. I was considering buying this camera but when I got to the shop I found that it was doing this strange flickering too.

It affects both the video and the stills, plus it makes it very hard to concentrate on taking a photo.
lucienmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:25 PM   #3

As an FYI I called Minolta today and described the problem. They asked me to send the camera in for repair. They said I'd have it back in 3-4 weeks.

luciemp - I don't know if I'd let this problem influence your decision - nobody else seems to have had this problem and they are willing to fix it for me. These are complex devices - I'm sure you could end up with a problem no matter what brand you buy. Of course the fact that my 4 year old Nikon Digi-cam still works - and I'll be using that 2MP camera while mine is being fixed - made me initally say "Geeze - maybe I should have bought the Nikon 5700 afterall" - I've been very happy with the features and image quality of the A1 and I'm sure I'll be praising their product again once they get a working camera back in my hands.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:21 PM   #4
csd

3-4 weeks doesn't sound that bad. I've been very happy with the A1 after coming very close to buying the 5700. The anti-shake feature is what sold me.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:27 PM   #5

Dropped my camera in the mail today for repair. Does anyone have a tissue - I seem to have gotten something in my eye
Old Feb 11, 2004, 7:58 AM   #6

Default Flicker problem...

Hi,

I actually tried two shops and under the neon lights of the shop for both still and movie mode I saw noticable flickering. I'm willing to think it might be battery power or a setting I've missed - but one camera in particular worked fine for a bit then reverted back to its pulsing flickering.

I am going to go back tomorrow and heckle them into using the right power supplies and batteries to demo it to me. Problem is this is all in Japan and in Japanese so it takes 10x longer to make a statement/point :-)

Other than that this camera is an AMAZING value for money with so many features is just amazing! I am totally sold on this camera and think the A2 is going to be just out of this world :shock: drool

Luc
lucienmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:12 AM   #7

I had NO flicker problem for the first two months - then when it started it never went away.
In default config - in movie mode - if there isn't enough light it will auto switch to B&W and I have seen it flicker back and forth between color and B&W in extremely dim-lit situations in movie mode - which is probably normal for the camera in this default mode (which can be shut off) - but this isn't the problem that caused me to return the camera. So check and make sure it isn't flipping to B&W that is the issue - if so - this can be shut off. Before the problem occured I used the camera indoors under bright lights, flourecent, very little (almost NO) light, as well as outdoors during the day and at night and NEVER saw a flicker (until the problem started).
I've spent some time in Tokyo on business so am familiar with the difference in language. I wasn't speaking Japanese but in the meetings I was in there was always an interpreter and it seemed that each sentence I spoke translated to 3 or 4 sentences.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:22 PM   #8

I got my camera back today from Minolta repair but the problem STILL EXISTS. Called tech support and they said to send it back.

This will probably be the last Minolta product I ever purchase - I came very close to buying the Nikon 5700 and now wish that I had.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 2:34 PM   #9

I just recieved my camera back after the second repair and am happy to say it is FIXED !
I am now concerned that the only documentation I got back with it says "ran diags, cleaned/adjusted, return to factor specs". I am hoping they replaced some bad component - if some component can do this due to "needing cleaning/adjusting" then it is apt to happen again at some point. Calling their tech line to see exactly what the problem is will probably be futile based upon their lack of knowledge with previous calls but I will give it a shot.....