Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:19 AM   #1

Default A good case for the A1?

Hi--

I just recently received my A1---I love it, and can't wait to get through reading the manual, and experimenting with the camera to get a lot more familiar with it and how to use its many, many features!

I was wondering if any of you A1 owners could recommend a good case to hold the A1, its lens shade(not attached), an external flash unit(when I can afford to get one :roll: ), as well as extra memory cards, filters, and an extra battery pack. I like the Tamrac line as well as the LowePro line....

Thanks! And thanks for your help earlier when I was researching which camera to get...the A1 was the right choice!
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2004, 4:37 PM   #2

I use the Lowepro Nova 1. It comfortably holds all the gear that you mentioned and has room for more (I always seem to gather more stuff to cart along).

The Lowepro line is 1st cabin quality.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:30 PM   #3

Hi Jawz,

Thanks for your reply! I checked out the Nova 1 on Lowepro's website---it's a great looking case! And it does look really well made, too.

Do you load your A1 "face down" in the case? I guess that's the way it would have be to oriented, in order to fit the flash unit too.

Thanks again, Jawz!

Anyone else out there with a great case for the A1???
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:54 PM   #4

sukispop-

The Nova 1 has two padded partition walls that attatch to the front and back walls of the case with velcro strips. You can move these walls about to make compartments of a variety of sizes. I have mine set to have a 1.5 in compartment at the right side for the flash, a ~ 5 in compartment sort of in the middle left for the A1 laid on its side lens facing left, hand grip-shutter release button side facing upward; then a 0.5 in compartment to the far left for 'stuff' [mini tripod, digital voice recorder for field notes, laser pointer, etc]. With this arrangement, you can't keep the lens hood installed in the normal shooting position, but you could by eliminating the third compartment; this is all my preference. You can arrange things to allow lens-to-side loading like mine, but with lens hood in deployed position, or top loading with lens down with or without lens hood--there is quite a bit of flexibility, it all depends on the amount and shape of the ancillary stuff that you want to schlep along.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:49 PM   #5

Hi Jawz,

Thanks for describing how you have your Nova 1 set up! I like the way that you have your A1 loaded on its side with the beefy hand grip facing upward. That would be my preference too. I've seen some of Tamrac's and Lowe Pro's cases showing the camera loaded "face-down" in the case, and the ergonomics of lifting it up from the case(especially if it's pretty snug) would seem awkward...and the fact that the LCD is facing upwards makes it seem more vulnerable to scratching or damage(that could just be a misperception on my part, though).

'Just out of curiosity, what flash unit did you get for your camera? I've seen the Minolta 3600 HS and 5600 HS models...and have been wondering if there are any really good off-brand units to consider for the A1.

Thanks again, Jawz! Take care.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:37 PM   #6

sukispop-
Actually, I am looking for a proper flash for the A1-- trying to decide between the 5600HS(d) and the 3600HS(d). From all my reading the 5600HS(d) is the finest strobe available [for use with the A1]. I just have to convince myself to spend the $$.

I have a Vivitar slave that I use(d) with my Oly because the oly didn't have a hot shoe or sync connection. This was a practical necessity with the Oly but is totally unsat for the A1.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz
From all my reading the 5600HS(d) is the finest strobe available [for use with the A1]. I just have to convince myself to spend the $$....
I know what you mean...the 5600HS(d) sounds like a perfect flash for the A1...but it does have some sticker shock value, doesn't it? :shock:
Old Feb 27, 2004, 4:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukispop
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz
From all my reading the 5600HS(d) is the finest strobe available [for use with the A1]. I just have to convince myself to spend the $$....
I know what you mean...the 5600HS(d) sounds like a perfect flash for the A1...but it does have some sticker shock value, doesn't it? :shock:
The ansver could be Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER. I have that one and have liked it a lot. With mentioned flash TTL must be set manually from the camera menu when using bounce flash. The flash unit has to have Minolta mount!
With this flash flash compensation is neccesary for about +1 ev. (rest can be done through programs if needed.) The reason is simply keeping all the detail not overexposing anything.
Jussi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 12:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi78
The ansver could be Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER. I have that one and have liked it a lot.
Hi Jussi78,

Thanks for your reply! I will definitely look into the Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER. It's nice to know what alternative flash units are available that will work with the Minolta A1, besides the Minolta brand units. If they work well with the camera, and if they're well made and reliable, AND if they're a little less expensive, then I'm definitely interested!

Thanks again!
Old Feb 28, 2004, 4:25 PM   #10

Hi Jussi78,

I checked out the Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER, and it seems to compare closest to the Minolta 5600 HSD, feature for feature, but retails for around $189 US, which is about the same street price as the lower model Minolta 3600 HSD.

Before you made the decision to purchase the Sigma unit, did you get a chance to try out the Minolta units, either the 3600 HSD or the 5600 HSD? 'Just curious about how well you felt the Sigma stacked up against the Minolta units...in terms of build quality or user-friendliness.

The Sigma looks like an excellent deal for the money! Thanks for the recommendation!