Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 20, 2002, 1:38 PM   #1

Default Minolta Image Viewer Software - ?

I own a Minolta D7 and just received the upgrade kit. This is my first digital camera and I'm still not 100% confident with it yet - it has so many extras that I don't know if the problems I have with the camera are because I haven't learned the proper button to push, or because it is fault in the machine. (probably the former moreso than the latter.)

Anyway, I am hoping that the upgrade improves the autofocus for that has sure been a thorn in my side.

My question: I read conflicting reports about using the Minolta Software to process the images - Minolta says that you must run it through its software in order to properly adjust the colors, yet others I have read say that Photoshop can do the exact same thing automatically.

You Minolta Users/Experts - which is right? Install the Image Viewer or I can just stick with working with the tiffs and jpegs in Photoshop (v7) ???

Thanks much.
tracyleephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2002, 2:21 PM   #2
NHL

I don't use DIVU @ all when I go to Photoshop; However for web posting I do a DIVU batch color processing as well as sizing since it's more convenient and faster this way. BTW there's otherway to do this as well, so no DIVU is not necessary...

BTW check out Padeye comment on DIVU 1.20, regarding the upgrade:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=1944

[Edited on 8-20-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 8:12 PM   #3

I don't own Photoshop so I use DIVU. If you purchased the camera upgrade alone it will come with a version 1.2 update disk for the version of DIVU that came with the camera. If you got the upgrade/DIVU package it will come with DIVU 2.0

I found a dramatic improvement in autofocus performance after the upgrade. It's faster at all speeds and no longer hunts at telephoto as it used to.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:58 PM   #4

Yes, the autofocus performance is much improved, along with many other improvements.

Actually you do not need the DIVU at all, unless you shoot raw files. Additionally, never use DIVU to rotate JPEGs, as it does NOT do lossless rotation.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 6:59 AM   #5
NHL

One doesn't need DIVU if a picture is going to be edited anyway, but pictures straight out from the D7 tend to be rather flat since they're mapped to a wider color space than sRGB. But you're righ except for raw DIVU is not required (if one can live with the color), or do a batch color adjusting on other programs, like the LAB function in Microsoft Picture It!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote