Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:03 AM   #1

Default Dimage A2 vs Canon Powershot Pro1

Which one do you choose: Dimage A2 vs Canon Powershot Pro1. Any inputs and reasons?
dlee471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:11 PM   #2

A third similar camera: the Nikon Coolpix 8700. Due to its bigger zoom (35-280 mm instead of 28-200 mm) and due to the Nikon being compacter.
laja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 2:31 PM   #3

I would wait for some good reviews on the Minolta and Canon. I like the stabilization of the A2 and wide angle on both compared to the unstabilized long zoom on the 8700 without wide angle. I also didnít like the control setup on the 5700 with holding a mode button and scrolling to set modes. I much prefer a mode dial. I also much prefer the big manual zoom ring on the A2 to electric zooms with those zoom ranges. I hope Nikon improves their raw write times over the 5700. It appears the Pro 1 will be about as compact as the 8700 with the A2 being bulkier.

My guess is that the Pro1 will have a little better optics and the A2 will continue with the large amount of external controls and stabilization. Adobe RGB is nice for post processing and SHQ JPG is essential if you donít want to mess with raw in that level of camera. An 8Mp TIFF must be in the 19Mb area and is totally impractical IMO. The 900k+ EVF on the A2 looks like a step in the right direction.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 3:09 PM   #4
NHL

Don't forget the A2 has an incredible new EVF viewfinder from Kopin either...

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=20841
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 3:14 PM   #5

Ordinarily, I would wait for the reviews to come out, but because of a scheduled trip to China in about three weeks, I made an early decision and ordered an A2. The top factor was the anti-shake mechanism, which was proven on the A1. The next was the new viewfinder, about which I have read some good things on forums like this. Third was increased speed, which remains to be proven. If you can, I would wait for the reviews. Offhand, it looks to me like a choice between two excellent cameras. My age and affinity for low light shots made the anti-shake a super motivator.
Thinkinboutit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 3:42 PM   #6

I, for one, am an enthusiastic but not profiicent hobby photographer. I now use a 3.2 megapixel Olympus that has a very long zoom of 38-380 mm, so I don't think I will feel the Nikon's relatively puny 280 mm zoom too shaky. Also, I have never felt a need for wider lenses, so the 28 mm wide end of all other 8 mp cameras is not too attractive to me.
laja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 4:31 PM   #7

I carried a little 35mm 38Ė80 zoom pocket camera for a couple of years. I switched to a similarly small 28-70 Konica and the difference was dramatic. You can get much nicer scenic and interior shots with a wider angle. Wide angle isnít much use for nature or sports photography, but it is great for general purpose use.

Post some pictures when you get back from China and tell us how the camera worked out. You might consider some kind of image tank to store the images in unless you are planning some really large cards or microdrives. Or unless you are taking your laptop.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 8:34 PM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by laja
... so the 28 mm wide end of all other 8 mp cameras is not too attractive to me.
On the contrary a wide angle goes hand in hand with 8 Megapixels better than the long lens since its the highly detailed landscape which can profit more from the higher resolution...

... which in turn needs a higher 900k+ EVF to show all the details! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:33 AM   #9

I would go with the A2 because:

- Great lens, plus apparantly now Minolta will be offering a wide angle add on lens which will give about a 24mm equivalent.

- Manual zooming. Offers MUCH better control than the zoom by wire of the others.

- Good ergonomics, same as the A1 and D7 series.

- Good battery life (assuming it inherits the battery life of the A1).

- Add on battery grip that allows the use of NiMH AA's instead of the LiIon.

- Anti shake

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:16 PM   #10

Sure - you ask this question in the Cannon forum and get Cannon preference and at the same time ask in the Minolta forum and get Minolta preferences. :lol:
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote