Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:25 PM   #11

Default Imagetank

By the way, I have been assuming that some post processing will be advisable, if not necessary, on a small sensor high megapixel product like the A2, especially when used for available light, long exposure shots.
Thinkinboutit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:36 PM   #12

Default Re: image tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkinboutit
A lot of what I have read on these forums indicates the desirability of shooting in raw. I could still do that, but would lose the advantage ,while on the road , of seeing how I was doing.To the more experienced digiphiles---How much would that deter you?
This product can read/copy anything and that includes Raw files, and movies.
Anyway the one that makes the drinks and scratches the back, is that an accessory or a new model ?''
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:42 PM   #13

The EVF on the A2 looks to be pretty spectacular. You should be able to delete any shots you donít want directly from the camera after evaluating focus and subject. I would go for something that just stores the images and shoot raw on a trip like that. There are likely shots you will treasure and you want them in the best quality you can get.

I doubt you will be printing directly from some little device after you learn how much it costs to print photo quality.

If you want to make large prints of shots taken at high ISO you will definitely want Neat Image or Noise Ninja. They arenít expensive and will do an excellent job of removing noise without degrading image quality. Noise alone degrades image quality and you probably want to practice steadying the camera and using the IS to give you the lowest ISO you can shoot at for a given situation.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:05 PM   #14

For Slipe: Re 4GB MuVo2

Yep, have 3 of them. Considering a 4GB MD bought separately costs about $500, the MuVo2 is a steal.

I need them, as I can only get about 220 shots onto a 4GB drive and I usually shoot 400-600 images during a photo shoot.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 9:22 AM   #15
NHL

The Microdrives are not meant for everyone!

I've posted this before, and I agree that most average Joe do not need one, but for others it's more of a necessity especially if they are into RAW and 8Mp cameras. Let's be practical shall we:
Assuming an A2 put out a conservative 10MB files (~16MB on the F-828), one would then need to burn a CD for every two rolls of film with a 512M CF (or less than 1 roll on the Sony!). On the otherhand if it's a 1G CF then it would be two CDs, not counting the time one would have missed the shots while waiting for the CD burner to perform its task. Also assuming one is careful not to bump the drive while it's writing or that it has closed the session properly (I already have a fair share of CD coasters...).

BTW those three cute 4G Microdrives above = 24+ CD's. I rather take my Microdrives (or a databank anytime) for my travelings thank you... :P

Also FYI http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...=103958#103958
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:14 AM   #16

For the Roadstor, carrying and protecting the 27 CDs it would take to equal a 20 Gig Image Tank would be a hassle since you have to also carry a device to record them in that is larger than the Image Tank to start with. And keeping them sorted and labeled so you know which ones arenít full yet and which are completely full and which are empty isnít something I would want to do on vacation. Iím a CDR junkie, but it wouldnít be my choice for a trip like that. And I donít see any way to check the CDs for integrity without a computer Ė I wouldnít like dumping the card without verifying the backup for CD Ė even using reliable CDs like Taiyo Yudens. There is just too much that can go wrong in a burn.

The nice thing about the Microdrives for that price as that they can be used for everyday shooting as long as you buy an extra battery. And a 4 Gig Microdrive would allow you to come back with almost 500 raw shots Ė not bad if you dump the duplicates and poor shots. Iím assuming Minolta will get the same efficiency for raw they got with the A1 and put out an 8Mb raw file.

But the Image Tank type devices are a lot more efficient for cost if you want more shots than that. At $190 for a 20 Gig Image Tank and Power Bank there is no other storage that can compare to it. The fancy advanced version takes additional card types you arenít interested in. Something with a LCD view window would be nice though so you can verify the write, but the people on the storage forum at dpreview havenít experienced much unreliability I have seen posted.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:46 AM   #17

Any standalone CD burning device, such as the Roadstor, is best to avoid, in my opinion. I already have too many problems with bad burns using a computer with *good* hardware. I would hate to use one of those stand alone things, erase my media cards, and, once I returned home from my trip, discover some percentage of my burned CD's were no good. The burn process is just too unreliable.

On the other hand, the transfer process to a hard disk based image tank is pretty reliable.

Best of all, however, is the laptop computer.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:20 AM   #18
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingthailand
On the other hand, the transfer process to a hard disk based image tank is pretty reliable...
That also why some databanks are better than others. Even though my MindStor is discontinued it performs a media compare on every files after the downloading is completed... Make sure to check for this feature!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:32 AM   #19

I agree what NHL posted. " Microdrives aren't ment for everyone "
Now, on my vacation or some outing to take 20 GIG worth of pics with a 5 MEG camera using the highest jpg setting I would have to be shooting <<oh to much>> and forget about enjoying my trip, eating and sleeping. Not to mention later downloading and sorting it all out on the computer.
From what I read here at Steve's, assuming you have a Pentium 4 / 2 GHZ with a USB 2.0 to download a mere 497MB of image files from an Image Tank G2, took 7 minutes 33 seconds. So to think about downloading 20 Gigabyte's.
I don't think so.
I rather have a CD that is labeled night pics, beach pics, street pics etc. etc.

And by the way the RoadStor will tell you if transfer was successful.
I wonder maybe a DVD version will come out later. :idea:

:shock: He who trust putting all cherished pics on portable hard disc drive device may find headache at end of journey.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:11 PM   #20

I found this from a review of the Roadstor:
RoadStor itself does not verify the copies. The company told us, "Verification using Windows or Mac tools can be performed after the backup is complete, if desired. Microsoft's FC (File Compare) would perform such a function." http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/RDS/RDS.HTM

There is a difference between getting a transfer successful message and having a good burn. Iíve had burns to CD that the burner was perfectly happy with that had problems. I always check the error rate and sample some of the images on the CD after making thumbs of all of them before dumping the originals. Even then I burn 2 CDs to different media and store them in different places. Whether you use an Image Tank, Roadstor or Microdrive there are uncertainties I guess. But I think I would trust a hard drive more than a CD I couldnít check.

It is the upload time that would more concern me on a trip. The Image tank uploaded those images in 4:30 compared to probably 12 minutes or more on a 4X burner. Just set the Image Tank to download and go unpack when you get home. You donít use one everyday.

I tend to agree that you donít want to spend all of your time on vacation messing with a camera. If you can get the 4Gb Microdrive from the MP3 player for $200 it might be all you need. It never gets removed from the camera and 500 raw shots is probably plenty if you delete the ones you donít want. Iím not sure of that 8Mb per 8Mp raw shot, but the A1 was 5Mb per 5Mp raw image. I would personally prefer a 4Gig Microdrive to anything external I had to mess with.

Microdrives have gotten pretty reliable. A MP3 player probably takes a lot more knocks than a camera and they seem to be working OK in those. You rarely see people with Microdrive problems over on the dpreview storage forum. The original small capacity Microdrives had some problems a few years back, but they seemed to have sorted all that out.