Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:32 PM   #21
NHL

It all have to do with RAW vs JPEG! As long as people stay in jpeg the files are small enough to manage; However once folks "acquire" the need to use RAW:

1. 1G cards are not that large anymore.
2. You can't see the pictures once its outside the camera
3. It's crazy to sort RAW pictures spanning multiple CDs even on a 52x drives!
4. With Microdrives you can still review RAW in PDA's
http://www.glasslantern.com/articles/PocketPCstorage/

The 4G Microdrives are a steal @ under $200... Ever wonder why the MuVo2 are out of stock everywhere, and why folks try to crack the iPod Mini instead even though it cost $50 more?
"He who trust putting all cherished pics on CD drive may find constant headache the entire journey"
:P :P :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 5:53 PM   #22

Ok should we now compare CD burner brand (A) that hiccups every now and then, with CD burner brand ( B) that works flawlessly everytime all the time.
And then how about the CD itself, what brand ?....And operating system....OH MY !

Anyone interested should also check out Imaging Resource's conclusion of the Roadstor.

Does the average person use RAW ?
For those who do the " other device " is an option to consider.

" Better to have a few little headaches throughout my journey than ONE BIG headache at end of journey. "
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 7:42 AM   #23

I think the point is that using a device such as the Roadstor to burn a CD in the field is just asking for problems. On top of which the Image Tank is a physically smaller and a much more reliable, not to mention faster device. As stated, data transfer can be started and then go unpack, have a coffee, read your mail or whatever, while the data is transfered to your computer.

USB 2.0 *high speed* is very fast. Just avoid USB anything that does not say USB 2 High Speed. Now if your computer is not USB 2 high speed, well, then you could be in for a wait. But even waiting is way preferable to discovering your stand alone CD burner generated coasters.

No, never trust a stand alone CD burner.

"He who trust stand alone CD burner, may have large coaster collection"

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 8:59 AM   #24
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
Iím assuming Minolta will get the same efficiency for raw they got with the A1 and put out an 8Mb raw file.
FYI

A2 RAW ~ 11.5MB from http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7791934

IMO the RAW+jpeg option on the A2 will have the same large file size as on the Sony!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:52 AM   #25

From reading posts from new A2 owners there is no delay shooting raw+jpg but a long delay with just raw. Not sure why that would be the case, but a write delay would inhibit using raw only. I havenít seen a report of raw+ jpg file sizes.

Raw is a very worthwhile format IMO. It is like shooting with 35mm in that you are only concerned with exposure, focus and framing. All of the white balance, sharpening, contrast and saturation can be done with the raw file just as if it were done in the camera. It is much easier to get them right that way than trying to correct white balance for instance in photo editing software if it wasnít right. And the 16 bit files are a little better for anyone with Photoshop CS that can use them effectively. Iím not about to screw with a standard gray card in the field to get my white balance right when I can do it better at home. Raw + jpg is going to stress the storage problem a lot more than just shooting SHQ though.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 1:18 AM   #26

I just came across this post and wanted to respond to what John G. wrote:

"From what I read here at Steve's, assuming you have a Pentium 4 / 2 GHZ with a USB 2.0 to download a mere 497MB of image files from an Image Tank G2, took 7 minutes 33 seconds."

Now, I realize he was talking about an Image Tank G2. I, however, recently bought an Archos Gmini 120 and just ran a test of it to see how it compared to the Image Tank G2. I had a CF card with 737MB of data and I transferred it to my PC (Pentium 4 2.6Ghz with 800 Mhz FSB) through a high-speed USB 2.0 connection. Transferring all 737 MB only took 35 seconds.

My point is, there are other options out there. If anyone reading this thinks transferring 497MB of data to their PC in over 7 minutes is too slow (I happen to think so) and are somewhat put off of getting a portable harddisk to store their pictures then please keep in mind there are other products that can do better.

The Archos Gmini 120 does not, however, have a user replaceable hard disk or battery. Still, when I'm in the field and need to off-load my data I'd rather have one of these than a portable CD burner any day.
Snappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 9:18 PM   #27

I have a Archos AV 300 Series on order. It uses a standard laptop hard drive so you can buy the 20 GB version and go up from there if you wish. There are some hacking tips somewhere on the net. This device is really neat! Firewire too. Firewire is very fast! I have used it to transfer files from the laptop . We bought it for the AV caputre and for the dump tank feature... But there are many features too!
http://www.archos.com/products/av300_series.html

I dont know about the Gmini but I dont see how it would be any different
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:24 PM   #28

Default <<Road Tested>>

I have the X's Drive Pro. It's fast, easy, comes with a case, and plays mp3. Takes all kind of memory cards, including microdrive, with no needed adaptor. Use a power inverter with the A/C adaptor in the car. Highly recommended. Road tested!
spaceweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 1:54 AM   #29

You have a link for it? Cost? Thanks

KM
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote