Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 25, 2004, 2:55 AM   #1

Default 6 year warranty?

Hi.

I bought a A1 today from ebay for $630 including S/H. But when I called to the company to make a payment by credit card, they pressed me to buy the 6 year warranty for $177. As they will not sell the camera without 6 year warranty I had to buy it. After negotiation I reduced it to $100. But I'm suspicious that they really added the 6 year warranty. I'm not familiar with warranty system of US. Are there any way to confirm that my camera really have warrenty? Should I call to minolta to ask about it with serial number? or will they come with some document specifying the warranty?
haebang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2004, 4:06 AM   #2

............As they will not sell the camera without 6 year warranty I had to buy it.

Fortunately, in UK we have fair rading rules about this sort of thing called 'bundling'. It is very relevant when the company selling the product is also getting commission from the sale of the addons and now in UK there are practices like this being investigated.

It started with holiday sales - that seems to have stopped now, and recently I heard of a scam with car dealers who sell insurance claim protection policies bundled with the car. Now they have to reveal to the customer how much commission they are getting - that's slowed things down a bit, as customers go and buy elsewhere - which out of principle, is what I'd have done with this camera! When it comes to finding what you've got, the guy selling wil probably be an agent on commission and probably knows little about your policy. I'll bet the small print has lots of letouts.

The problem with insurance over this period of time is whether the insurer will still be in business to cover any future claim, anyway your camera will be a bit out of date by then anyway and you will pick up a better one for half the price!

As you probably have a 'cooling off period' for distance selling, I'd argue quickly that you were pressured into making an agreement unfairly and take this up with both your credit card company and seller to get the Insurance cancelled and premium refunded - if you're not happy. I'm not a Lawyer, but if the insurance and camera are being charged separately, then they are two separate sales. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 4:06 AM   #3

Double post deleted. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote