Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:42 AM   #1

Default Xt or X20 ? Some of my thoughts.

I recently had the opportunity of testing both the Minolta Dimage X20 and Xt before purchase. The Xt looks a neat piece of kit with 3 mp and a robust slender metal build. The X20 on the other hand is half the price (UK) and is made of tough plastic, has no optical viewfinder and is only 2 mp. I was happy to spend the money on either cam. Guess which one I thought produced the best picture for the price ? The Xt went back to the shop ! For a point and shoot camera I thought the Xt produced uninspiring rather grainy underexposed images, whereas the older X20 appeared to give me slightly more vibrant colours. Both cams look good and both produce fine pics - but the X20 shone for me ! And at less than 100 ! I look forward to hearing about the new X21 and Xg...will they be better replacements or more of the same ? (The performance indoors in average to low light could be improved , I think) cheers :?:
Little Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:13 AM   #2

Notice the X21 is appearing on line in the UK for not too much more than the X20 ! Presume prices will fall further for the X20 !
Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:01 PM   #3

And there is the new Dimage XG which takes the fun of the X20 and puts it into an XT form factor minus the dock charger, the AV out, and the TIFF mode.
IpaqMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:36 AM   #4

some reports from the US say the Xg is better than the Xt ! I may purchase in say...12 months time !...when the prices drop !
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:09 PM   #5

I just got an XG from Etronics for $259 (pre-order price). This is almost the same price as the XT. So I only expect a drop of less than $50 in one year. The XT started higher in street price and encountered competition from Casio and Pentax. The XG is positioned better with its hardware cost cutting.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:21 PM   #6

When you say hardware cost cutting do you mean its has different build quality to the Xt ? :?:
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:09 PM   #7

A few things are improved over the XT like a better selection wheel, centered tripod mount, and smaller size. It seems to be built just as well.

What I meant by the cost cutting is:

1) Simple charger versus docking charger
2) Use of optional adapter battery pack versus built-in DC input jack for external power
3) No audio-video output
Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:08 PM   #8

...and you think better pics ? Overall ?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:42 PM   #9

Based upon my current pictures and reviews of the Dimage XT, I think that the pic quality is the same or improved with the XG. The XG has new programmed modes to help you take better pictures such as sport, sunset, and night modes.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 9:13 AM   #10

It will be interesting to read pro reviews of the Xg in the near future. Looking forward to seeing it in action.